Have you ever thought you picked the wrong road

jim81147

As I am just starting to put together pieces of my new HO layout I am beginning to think I may have chosen the wrong road to model. I picked the D & RGW because there is an old part of their track about 50 miles from me , but trying to find equipment I want with that roadname in the time period I want is proving to be more of a challenge than I thought it would . Has anybody else re thought their choice of roads after trying to find equipment?

I started out with my first few locomotives being UP, but as I sat there thinking about having an entire layout full of ugly yellow locomotives I decided maybe not :)

So yeah, that wasn't really about not finding the equipment, but still. I say model what you think will make you happy. If you're thinking that you're going to have a problem filling out a roster that's adequate for you, then change it up. Find something else that's interesting or just pretty and that you can find the range of equipment you want. Either that or get really good at kitbashing and painting things :D

Hey Mike, what's wrong with yellow locomotives ?????? :cool:;):confused::D

0020.jpg

When I started my layout years back I was interested in the Northern Pacific and the Milwaukee Road being that these were the railroads I grew up with. At the time, in the early 80's, there were very few locomotives that were properly decorated for either railroad. Also, with the space I had available I didn't think I could do justice to even a part of a subdivision of either railroad so I went and freelanced my own railroad that connected to both railroads. This way I could have power from them show up on my layout. I started having to custom paint not only my YELLOW freelance locomotives, but also locomotives from the NP and MILW. In recent years manufacturers have come out with some nice locomotives for the NP and MILW which made things a bit easier for me.

There are two things to consider on this:

1.) Paint.
You can always find the right equipment and simply repaint it to the proper color for your RR. With the wealth of knowledge on these boards, you can find all the help you will need in getting that done.

2.) Loco selling/trading is always going on. Check out this shot I took last week. Amtrak is waiting for a 4 engine consist to get out of the way. (Notice the three different paint schemes on the locos).

IMG_1287_zps58a1dd79.jpg

(The brick building behind the Amtrak train in the Rail of America Roundhouse in St Albans, VT.)

Hey Mike, what's wrong with yellow locomotives ?????? :cool:;):confused::D

View attachment 48866

Notice I said "ugly yellow". Yours are "pretty yellow". :D

Seriously, though, for some reason I've just never particularly liked UP's paint scheme. It's not even one particular aspect or color, but just that I've always found the whole thing when put together to be kinda fugly. I do love some of the unusual motive power they've used either exclusively or mostly, though, and believe me there's some armour yellow mixed into my "railroad museum" fleet.

I see nothing wrong with Yellow as long as it is not on u.p.rr equipment... then again there's the fact of bnsf Orange and Forest Green and G. & W. family of rail lines Orange with those Black Stripes which belong in the category of the most Gaudy paint schemes. At least MILW Orange and Black wasn't that bad.

BCK RR

attachment.php

I'm a bit partial to this paint scheme. I rode on the North Coast limited numerous times when I was growing up.

ya i went with a santa fe line, but figure i should have stayed east where i have more local knowledge on lines and scenery

ya i went with a santa fe line, but figure i should have stayed east where i have more local knowledge on lines and scenery

That exactly why I chose to model the area where I live. Besides being familiar with the railroads in the area, I know what the local industries are plus the needs of the area. Sure makes things a lot easier, but sometimes I think that I may be going a little overboard with details trying to stay true to the time period and freight equipment. I'm not a river counter by any means, but I do like to pay attention to the details.

I've never regretted my decision on who I model until I decided to backdate a little and include every railroad in the area I want to model. But I only regret it from a financial standpoint because I'm going to have to buy a bunch of locomotives and paint them. But as time has gone on more and more roads are becoming available. Plus I enjoy painting and doing custom locomotives so I never saw things not being available as a huge negative

Seriously, though, for some reason I've just never particularly liked UP's paint scheme. It's not even one particular aspect or color, but just that I've always found the whole thing when put together to be kinda fugly.
Me too; however, I am a bit more tolerant of it as I did discover the reason for the UP scheme. Even all those decades ago, the reason they choose that scheme is very simple - safety. A yellow locomotive is more visible than other colors. But, it was a good thing the "safety green" hadn't been invented yet or they may have chosen that!

Don't know what GN or BNSF were thinking when they choose orange and green. To anyone who has studied color and the human eye knows that those two together are a technical eye sore (as in they will make eyes tired when looking at them).

The NP Lowey two-tone green, on the other hand, is what happens when someone takes a step back and "engineers" a paint scheme rather than just choosing the colors that the executive management or president likes at the time.

I picked the D & RGW because there is an old part of their track about 50 miles from me , but trying to find equipment I want with that roadname in the time period I want is proving to be more of a challenge than I thought it would . Has anybody else re thought their choice of roads after trying to find equipment?
So back to the topic of the thread. Yes, I had once chosen to model the GN. Then I discovered how they favored the Belpair firebox and home built locos. That immediately meant the brass market was the only serious option for steamers. Way out of my budget at the time.

What time period are you looking to model the D&RGW? If you are into the classic steam era I see your dilemma - brass locos needed.

I see nothing wrong with Yellow as long as it is not on u.p.rr equipment... then again there's the fact of bnsf Orange and Forest Green and G. & W. family of rail lines Orange with those Black Stripes which belong in the category of the most Gaudy paint schemes. At least MILW Orange and Black wasn't that bad.

BCK RR

Heh... You must have hated that picture I posted then, huh? ;)

What time period are you looking to model the D&RGW? If you are into the classic steam era I see your dilemma - brass locos needed.

I am looking at the late 40's - early 50's . I love the steam engines , but with my experience with them on my last N scale layout , I am more than just a bit leary of them. I know things have changed in the last 15 or so years and moving to HO scale will also help . I know I also need to get over some of the opinions I formed about certain companies back then. That would also open up some opportunities for equipment .

I can understand your feeling about N scale steam. I was into N scale intil the late 70's when I moved on to HO scale. Back then even diesels were very questionable. I too really enjoy steam, but also first generation diesels. I model 1957 which allows me to have both. I will have to say that I am impressed with the N sca;e locomotives that are on the market now, but also, now that I am older and the old peepers aren't as good as the used to be, I do appreciate the larger size of HO scale, but also I feel that you can do a lot more detailing to locomotives and scenery in HO scale.

If you have any questions at all, don't hesitate to ask. I'm sure that someone on the forum will be able to help you.

That exactly why I chose to model the area where I live. Besides being familiar with the railroads in the area, I know what the local industries are plus the needs of the area. Sure makes things a lot easier, but sometimes I think that I may be going a little overboard with details trying to stay true to the time period and freight equipment. I'm not a river counter by any means, but I do like to pay attention to the details.
well im at the size now where i can dump the mountain, add some grass and streetlights and im back east, trying to wait till i do the extension so i dont have to tear up stuff twice for wiring

Yes at first I regretted modeling CN modern day because there was no locomotives available at that time I also model cp and am going to model my fictional railroad the Assiniboine Valley with the paint scheme like the cp maroon and grey scheme

I am looking at the late 40's - early 50's . I love the steam engines , but with my experience with them on my last N scale layout ,... .
Hmmm, Since you say N-scale that further reduces the available supply of locos. The 1940s at least you can get the N&W 2-8-8-2s and the UP 4-6-6-4s that will be prototypical. I know both of those have been made in N-scale. Athearn's version is even already painted D&RGW.

So where are you that you are 50 miles from former D&RGW track? Utah?

That exactly why I chose to model the area where I live.

Model what you can see everyday. It's the easy way or go with a fictional road, then you can paint stuff whatever color you want.

Back