Has anyone seen this? (Robot Chicken train skit?)

mtrpls

Ignorance is Patriotic
So I'll go out on a limb here and assume no one on this forum, considering the demographic, actively watches the TV show "Robot Chicken" on Cartoon Network's Adult Swim. The show is an animated/clay-mation adult comedy that features brief comical sketches.

I was watching last night (it was a repeat, but I never saw it before) and they featured a skit showing a lonely model railroader. I was shocked when I saw it! While they certainly do all they can to stereotype the people in our hobby, I think the greatest concern is that the show's primary audience is young people in their late teens through late 20s (myself included). This certainly can't be good for the image of our hobby, particularly amongst the aforementioned young target audience (read: our future).

Anyway, here is the link to the skit. Thoughts?

http://www.devilducky.com/media/69072/

Actually, it looks like a pretty nice layout. :)

The thing about stereotypes is that it's easy to reinforce them and very difficult to change them. I think this developed a long time ago, when most of the kids were outside doing something like playing baseball and we inside paying with our trains, ergo, we had no friends but our trains. You could substitute a kid in front fo the TV paying his xBox today and perpetuate the same kind of stereotype. There always has to be someone to pick on in our society. Most of the past groups, like different races and religions, are taboo now, but the nerdy, goofy guy wuth a trainset is always fair game.

I agree with Jim ... Kinda sad actually, but hey anything that they can poke fun at to get some ratings right??

Kinda like the stereotype of the Trucker ... Now there are a few out there that scare the Chit outta me.. but 99.998% that Ive seen, met, talked to, and drove down the road with.. dont fit that stereotype. But there are shows out there that do bad things to re-enforce it. Not help do away with it.

mtrpls: Careful what limbs you go out on. I watch Robot Chicken regularly, though I have not seen that episode yet.

I think you are reading way too much into a sattiric cartoon. Robot Chicken makes fun of everything. If no one did the things they make fun of, no one would laugh at the cartoons.

Don't worry about the future of the hobby, it is just fine. As long as little kids like to play with thomas and are awed by the sight of their Dad's/Grand Dad's/Uncles layout, or the one they see at a train show or around the Christmas tree, the hobby will be fine. People like us, who've built trains all through High School and University are exceptions in this hobby and always have been.

^ oh, I watch enough Robot Chicken to know never to take that show seriously! Believe you me, good sir! :)

This one just hit a little too close to home, is all. I still love the show, regardless!

I've yet to see the specific skit, but I am a big Robot Chicken fan. (Too bad we don't get Adult Swim here in Canadaville, I hafta buy the DVDs.)

I got a message that they are not allowed to share videos across intnat. borders.
Willis

It's one of my favorite shows actually and I don't take them too serious they take pot shots at everything and if you ever noticed most of the sets they use are made out of model railroading buildings. Same with the cartoon Moral Orel.

I get Adult Swim on Teletoon with my Canuck Cable.

Me too on Rogers. Unfortunately there's this weird thing about some american programming that cannot be viewed outside the US - I get a notice on that link saying I cannot see the clip. Is that a new episode? Would you happen to know what the episode name is so I can keep an eye out for it?

BTW, I love Robot Chicken. Seth Green is a sleeper talent.

Mark

Back