Hairbrained Network Buying Idea.

SpaceMouse

Fun Lover
I was thinking that most of us have become familiar with each other's layouts to the extent that we could help each other out if we come across stuff the other could use. I'm thinking train shows, sales at hobby shops, and maybe stuff thrown in when you buy from eBay.

Now, I'm not talking about if you see a brass 2-6-2 Saddle Tanker with CWRR on the side that you would get it for me just because you know I can't find one. But if I saw a boxcar marked for G&W, I know that Jeff Schultz could use it. Or if I saw a figure Sidney Poitier dressed as Mr. Tibbs, that Eric could use it to catch Bubba once and for all. I'm thinking stuff under $5 or so.

Hmmm. 6 hours and no bites. I guess I know what you all think about my idea.

[insert sulking away smiley]

Actually it's a good idea Chip. I recall from a Yahoo forum I was looking for HO seagulls. After searching and locating the distributer we found out the fellow who made them was in jail, and would be there for some time, also they were out of stock. A member from Ottawa Can. was vacationing somewhere in the US and came across a hobby shop that had two pks. He bought both and offered one to me for which I gladly sent him payment, shipping incl. Now other than that I'd have had to order them from England, mucho expensive. So for people in "well sort of remote areas "it's a great idea."

Willis

hyrail5 said:
I think it is an interesting idea. My only concern is that most (I'm guessing here) have very limited hobby budgets.

I'd go along with a price cap, or better yet, have interested members post a list of what they need along with acceptable prices. It's a workable idea. We could even start a tradition of posting the info in our profiles.

Sounds good to me. In a way it would sort of be like eBay's "Want it Now," but on a much more practical scale (no pun intended).

So would these be sent as gifts? Or would the member specify the price they are willing to pay, should we find and obtain what they're looking for? Or both?

sushob said:
So would these be sent as gifts? Or would the member specify the price they are willing to pay, should we find and obtain what they're looking for? Or both?

I don't know. Personally, if I saw something I liked under $5. I'd just send it off gratis. What made me think of it was I did see something I thought someone would like and the price was right.

We could do something formal, but I can see any of us planning on going to a train show perusing peoples bios. I though more of if something strikes our fancy.

Well we do have a forum that could be used for just that Wanted to Buy If a member is looking for a hard to get or any item just post the requirements and terms. If someone has one or comes across one he can PM the member to offer the item on his terms. The point to remember that the forum will only be a venue that brings both together and has no responsibility for any transaction that takes place between the participating members.

Willis

CBCNSfan said:
If someone has one or comes across one he can PM the member to offer the item on his terms.

I'm not exactly sure how a person can PM someone from a train show.

The point to remember that the forum will only be a venue that brings both together and has no responsibility for any transaction that takes place between the participating members.

Willis

Who is responsible for anything if a person buys something and freely gives it as a gift? No one has to play the game and negotiating a price is much more complicated than I want to get.

I'm thinking stuff under $5 or so.
Uh! OK I'm back on track, it's still a good idea maybe we'll need a forum just for this, if enough are interested we can ask for one.
Willis

This sure is odd. Here's what my horoscope says for today:
Don't be too eager to buy things for those who really don't deserve it. Don't reveal anything about your personal life to those who may use such information against you. You will be overly sensitive today.

I will though tell CBCNSfan whenever I spot something from CBNS, etc.

Russian said:
This sure is odd. Here's what my horoscope says for today:

I will though tell CBCNSfan whenever I spot something from CBNS, etc.

I think it is fair to say that you should not play the game today. Maybe you should get some duct tape and wrap your fingers so thisckly that there is no way you can type a single key. You might be able to unwrap it tomorrow.

SpaceMouse, i think it is the basis of a GREAT idea.;) :D after reading all the posts in this thread, heres my thoughts. start a place in the forums for this type of thing. everyone interested put down what you are looking for, if anyone finds that type of thing, post the info in the thread. example: if i was looking for an HO Alco D-109, and you seen one at train world, post that you have seen it, and i will check it out, make the decision on buying myself. also, if someone would want the other person to by an item, like at a train show, place a dollar amount on it. REMEMBER, if you are in this thread, it would be YOUR RESPONSIBILITY to keep your wants CURRENT, thats just being courteous to those trying to help YOU.;) for me personally, the $5 thing just wouldn't work. i cant think of a darn thing i would want for $5(more like $20-$200), that i couldn't get from my LHS. AGAIN, its the basis of your, idea i think is GREAT, SpaceMouse. just my two cents.:) thank you, -Dean

Last edited by a moderator:
lginc said:
...everyone interested put down what you are looking for, if anyone finds that type of thing, post the info in the thread. example: if i was looking for an HO Alco D-109, and you seen one at train world, post that you have seen it, and i will check it out, make the decision on buying myself.
That's what the "Wanted to Buy" section of the forum is designed for.

Back