Gp7/gp9

ccool

Hi !

Anyone know wich manifacturers make GP7 or GP9 with the "phase" in HO scale

Forget athearn and walthers the hood are not scale.

Atlas ?

Proto ?

Kato ?

Kaslo... but expensive to make what i want

Who made phase 1 ? 2 ? 3 ? 4 ? I don't know how many phase exist.. maybe 3 ?

If anyone can help me to make the complete list i appreciate.

I'm looking for the better long hood to make a SW1200RSM sweep nose, like a tell kaslo is the better but it's expensive to just take the long hood.

Thanks !

Just not a whole lotta activity in here at the moment, some evenings are like that...

The best GP7's and 9's produced in recent years are Walthers (formerly LifeLike) Proto2000 series. They have the finest detailed bodies, and smooth-running drive mechanisms. Some of the earlier LifeLike ones had issues with cracked gears, but they were easy to replace.

Atlas also did a few runs of GP7's. They are good runners, but not as finely detailed as the P2K geeps.

Back in the late 1980's, a company calle Front Range produced some really fine-looking models of bothe GP7's and GP9's, they caused a big sensation because they were the first affordable-priced HO geeps available with scale-width hoods (the Athearn Bluebox geeps were a scale foot too wide). Only one problem though: They ran as crappy as they looked good. I have a bunch of Front Rangers stashed away because I'm modeling a later era, but if I can ever afford to start modeling the 1960's again, I'll put some P2K drives under those shells.

Hi !

What is important to me it's the louvers on the long hoog, it's for that reason that i try to make a list of the "phase" for that i can see if one of them are corect for what i want to make.

Thanks !

P2K in the LifeLike days (early 1990's) did all 3 phases, IIRC; not sure exactly where you could find any of them now though, other than the 'Bay.

Here's a site that details all of the phases of the GP7s and the GP9s. If you are prototype modeling, make sure to check the prototype against this guide before buying as some manufacturers (like Atlas) will slap on a paint scheme and a road number on the wrong phase loco. It also helps if you are custom painting a loco and need to make sure you're getting the correct carbody type. The Atlas Classics (the new version) GP7 is Phase 1. The older Atlas-Kato version may have come in more than one phase, I am not sure.

http://trainiax.net/mephase-emd-gp7-9.htm

Atlas O scale Master Series ;) lol

Heh, heh. :D

Does anyone (or did anyone) make a low nose GP7 or GP9? All the ones I've seen were high nose, and wanted to model one that had a low nose (or use one as a starting point for a GP8/GP10). Thanks.

Walthers Trainline made a horrible looking but very good running GP9 low nose that they called the GP9M

Lionel, back when they were in the HO market also made a horrible looking low nose GP7/9.

Proto 2000 made a low nose GP18. To make a low nose GP7/9, buy a low nose GP18 shell or parts loco and swap the noses and cabs.

Hi !

The GP18 are not the "angle" nose ?

Kaslo make the shell for CN. I know someone that i must made only the cab and nose but always for CN.

If your model need the conventionel spartan " square cab" you can scratchbuilt your low nose with a high nose but if the cab are round like GP9 of CN it's better with the kaslo or wait the cab from the men that i talk.

By the time i will check the link that you post and give some news later.

Thanks !

Thanks. I forgot I bought the Trainline one a while back for cheap, only to find that the dynamic brakes need to come off. I was hoping for as little cutting as possible.

I agree, the Walthers Trainline GP9M is very horrid looking, but does run very well. After some detailing, they don't look as disproportionate.

The Front Range models are probably the best I have seen as far as the GP7/9's go. Add some details and you have a really nice model.

P2K wins hands down. The Walthers GP9M has handrails that are glued into the model. The handrail stanchions are a couple scale feet too short.

The GP18 low nose model has the same chopped nose that the GP9s and GP7s have, but beware, the railroads that chopped the high noses on the geeps didn't all chop them at the same height.

My preferance is the older yellow box Atlas GP's as they have the Kato drive in them. Yes the grabs ect are molded on, but if your going to custom paint the unit, those are easily shaved off and seperate wire grabs installed. Most of my models get handled alot going from home to the local club and back. I will take the super smooth drive over the extra detail. Proto comes close to the kato smoothness, but still short of equiling it. The truck design on the proto is a copy of the Athearn design. If your not running DCC, the headlights on the older Atlas/Kato are some of the best.

not all of the yellow boxes are Kato made. Some were made by Roco with similar tooling.

The way to tell is to look at the bottom. If it says AUSTRIA, then it's an Atlas-Roco. If it says Japan or China, then it is an Atlas-Kato.

I have two Atlas yellow-box Alco S-2s. One is an Atlas-Kato which features a molded on see-thru grill. The other, an Atlas-Roco has the same drive, almost the same tooling except the grill is molded on and is not see-thru, and the wheel wipers are arranged differently.

The wheel wipers on the Atlas-Roco are more reliable than the Atlas-Kato model.

Hi !

I check the web sites suggered by Diburning, the explanation are good but no picture.

I learn that GP9 have 6 phases.

1A
1B
3A
3B
3C

Anyone know what CN have ?

Or picture of each to compare ?

Thanks !

Back