GP18 vs. GP20

SP4439

any big visual differences in the looks of a GP18 vs. a GP20 needing a GP18 for a possible project but will settle with a GP20 if looks are the same. i know the 18 is non turbo as the 20 is turboed.

[Disclaimer: I'm not an EMD 'expert', this is just what I've seen...:eek: ]

The GP20 has a large, rectangular, single exhaust stack behind the forward 48" fan, similar to later turbocharged EMD locos.

OTOH, the GP18 has the smaller oval-shaped twin exhaust stacks on either side of the dynamic brake fan, similar to the GP9 and GP7. In fact, a GP18 looks almost identical to a Phase-III GP9 except for the radiator grilles, also the 48" fan shrouds are 'taller' than on the GP9.

Here's a few ebay links if you're looking for a GP18: http://search.ebay.com/ws/search/Sa...&customid=&afmp=&fsop=32&fsoo=2&fcl=3&frpp=50

Last edited by a moderator:
As already mentioned a GP18 mostly resembles a late GP9 with 2 48" fans. The main difference is the horizontal rib radiator grills which stand off and are distinctly different from the earlier geeps' flat diamond grid type grills.

The GP20 has an extra fan - over the rear radiator there is a 48" fan and a 36" fan forward of it. The GP20 is turbocharged and has the single rectangular stack, rather than the two oval blower stacks. The GP20 also has a set of doors that protrude behind the cab - in any angle except broadside this is visible.

There are probably more differences in the door layout, but those are the most readily visible.

Andy

The rearmost fans are in different locations between an 18 and a 20,but the fuel tanks are the first thing most people will notice...the 18 has a smaller tank with air tanks alongside.....the 20 is a single tank. Also the exhaust already mentioned is different.

Back