good place for misc. items

BIG DOG

Hey Again,
I am looking for n scale stuff, ie Ladders, pipe, tanks (silos, chemical, oil)

What I am wanting to do is add detail items to some industries
sucha as silos for the grain mill, loading stations for a refinery and a chemical plant, I have seen em but I don't know where (ebay possibly, walthers online is hard to search since I don't have product numbers

THANKS

they didn't have it

With 20,000 detail parts listed, I find that kind of hard to believe. I'll search for a few minutes and see if I can put my money where my mouth is :D

What do you mean by piping? Wouldn't you just use styrene tubing? That won't be listed as 'n scale pipe,' it will be listed as 'styrene tube' with the diameter.

and almost everything was back ordered

Most things are marked Back Ordered because they can't keep all 20,000 items in stock. They only list items that are currently available to them from various suppliers, and they ship them to you in 10-12 days. My personal experience is closer to 7-10 days for shipment.

Here's your N scale ladder. You get two 3" pieces you can cut to the length you need (3" in N scale goes a long way!)

#570-90421 Plastruct Ladder 3" (2) $2.25

There's a ton of styrene tubing you could use for piping, but you seem to be right in that they don't have silos or tanks :confused:

That said, here's a list of some that are available. I should be able to order any of these for you if you'd like (I can get the ladder material too), or you can at least use the item numbers to search other sites. The Bachmann and Model Power models aren't the best in detail, but they could serve as a starting point for a nice model.

628-703S.jpg

628-703 Rix N 30' CORRUGATED GRAIN BIN $9.95

628-704S.jpg

628-704 Rix N 40' CORRUGATED GRAIN BIN $13.95

628-707S.jpg

628-707 Rix N GRAIN ELEVATOR W/ LADDERS & PLATFORM 2' X 60' $11.95

628-708S.jpg

628-708 Rix N GUTHRIE GRAIN BINS W/ LADDERS & CHUTES $23.95

160-46712S.jpg

160-46712 Bachmann N BLINKING OIL TANK $14.00

490-1569S.jpg

490-1569 Model Power N TWIN OIL TANKS $18.98

(Photos from www.toytrainheaven.com used with permission)

What do you mean by piping? Wouldn't you just use styrene tubing.

I am new to this so I din't know exactly what the "pipe" was made out of or how to list it

but you seem to be right in that they don't have silos or tanks
thanks for that for sure!!

If you're looking for small detailing tanks, Walthers has a set of various small tanks under the new modular stuff. When I did silos for my mill, I bought a Heljan elevator and used the silos out of that...they're smaller than the walthers ADM elevator. The Rix grain bins work well too. How are you searching the Walthers site? Use the advanced search option....it'll ask for a catagorie (in this case either structures or detail parts) a scale, a manufacturer , key words, and I believe part number. You can do a search with only one of those filled out....the more you get filled in, the more precise the search. I never know part numbers....in fact that's usually what I'm trying to find. My LHS gives me 20% on anything I order from Walther's, so I usually go in with all the Walther's numbers (not the same as the manufacturers part numbers in most cases) written down. Generally, I've found that if Walther's doesn't have it, it probably doesn't exist....of course there are always exceptions

Last edited by a moderator:
Generally, I've found that if Walther's doesn't have it, it probably doesn't exist....of course there are always exceptions

A lot of the one-man-production companies aren't supported by Walthers. (things like resin kits). Walthers also fails to stock a lot of the things they advertise (it's hard to buy some decals and detail parts from them). They obviously don't carry 'custom' items that hobby shops have done either (like my ex-CN RoadRailers).

I had the same 'train' of thought you did at first, but I found some Googling and forum research could reveal quite a bit. Case in point: I've been hunting for tractors appropriate to model UPS units, and thought my only choice was a couple Herpa units. Then I checked out Hank's Truck Pictures (http://www.hankstruckpictures.com/) for some prototype photos and stumbled upon Jacob's Scale Models (http://members.shaw.ca/jacobsmodels/). Never would have found them in the Walthers catalog.

I've found that if Walther's doesn't have it, it probably doesn't exist....of course there are always exceptions
If used to be that way, now-a-days, its more along the lines of "If Walthers doesn't have it, try harder, and ask around."

You guys are right......but I did say there were exceptions;) And Walthers does have "some" of everything out there....but certainly not everything.It's pretty rare to do a search at Walther's and get no hits....doesn't mean what they have is what you want though. I've found these forums to be great places to find out about all the "garage shops" out there. I just wish I didn't have to read every forum post for the last 5 years to find them all!

Oh, I guess the Walther's comment should have this added:

There's no way that everything that exists is in the Walther's catalog, they don't stock Athearn. Its that Horizon/Walthers thing.

I've also got a sizable collection of links going. I've yet to get around to cross checking to make sure they're all on modelrailroaddata.com
http://modelrailroadtips.com/index.php?module=Links;id=2

Back