good cheap dcc starter unit

joed2323

Im looking to run no more then 4 trains probably more like 2. My layout plan size is somewhere around 12x12 give or take.

I already know im probably going to be spending around 200.

I want a dcc starter set that has everything i will need to get my trains running without having to buy this extra peice or that peice of equipment.

Ive tried to search but couldnt really find the answer i was looking for. Sorry if this has been covered before...

I want to make my layout come alive with all the neat sound effects and everything else that dcc offers.

They have alot of dif options on the market and i need help and direction on what route or should i say starter unit to add to my layout.

Thanks in advance- joe

The NCE Powercab has everything thing you need to get at least 4 trains running at the same time, all with sound.

The two top contenders are probably the Digitrax Zephyr Xtra and the NCE PowerCab. You may want to try and see if you can get some hands-on time with each of them. Straight from the box, the NCE is a walk-around unit with a tethered throttle, where the Zephyr is a fixed-place unit. Both can be expanded with another throttle if need be. Another factor worth considering if you belong to any sort of group or have friends who model is what is the predominant system in your area? It's sometimes useful to use what the majority of others use for the sake of support and interoperability.

You'll find ardent supporters of both systems, as well as for MRC. I have no experience with MRC.

Does any unit come with 2 throttles or a way for 2 ppl to play out of the box? Or would i have to buy a xtra throttle? I think i may want to buy a xtra throttle off the start if i cant get 2 in a system?

How much do xtra throttles cost btw? Also is it as simple as plugging a wire into the command station or?

On the DigiTrax systems additional throttles just plug into the LocoNet and work.

Check DigiTrax's (or NCE's) web site for the list price of throttles. Then google to find retailer's prices.

For what you have layout wise, I'd go with the Digitrax Zephyr and an extra DT400 throttle for a 2nd operator (or you if you want the option of moving around your layout).

The power cab will be a bit cheaper, but if you have friends that are into dcc, then you really should go with whatever system they are using.

I like the digitrax Zephyr for one you can run DC locos on it by putting in a code plus or run dcc.Yes the throttle is stationary but you can always add a remote throttle on it or even wireless. and it costs alittle more like 10 or 20 bucks more then a nce but I think it is worth it.I am heading out this comming weekend to try both.but I bet I get a Digitrax Iwill have to see.Like most of them on this forum is to try out both and see what one you like better.It is a Mac vs pc or chevy vs ford thing.Go to thier web sites and check them out.I know digitrax has short videos on there.NCE does not.Plus the digitrax has alot of info on there about there products to.It is a give and take at a starter size dcc.I know you can not the best of both world with a starter set.I did find that out.Good luck on you find on what one fits you the best.remember look at the one that that fits your needs the best then look at adding on to it and see if that is the one for you.

Jason K

Yes ive been stuck deciding on which one was best suited for me the nce power cab or the digitrax zephyr/xtra. Both seem to be what im after with a price im happy about paying.

What is the main difference between the two if there is one? Does one kit not come with something im going to need to run my trains? or do they both basically come ready to run?

Yes ive been stuck deciding on which one was best suited for me the nce power cab or the digitrax zephyr/xtra. Both seem to be what im after with a price im happy about paying.

What is the main difference between the two if there is one? Does one kit not come with something im going to need to run my trains? or do they both basically come ready to run?

The BIG difference between the two systems is the NCE is so much more user friendly than the Digitrax. Try using them at home or club layouts &/or your LHS before you buy anything. But since you're just starting out have a look here for a couple of wireless DCC radio systems that don't power the locos thru the track:
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=35705

Joe-
I just got started in DCC. When I was doing my initial research I was SURE that I was going to by NCE. It's what the hobby store(s) recommended, it's what I saw the most (at train shows and so forth), and the handheld unit seemed as if it was the bees. The reasons were all the same....easy to use, handheld throttle, good instructions, etc.
Having said that, I ended up getting the digitrax starter set because I got an absolute deal on an opened box item. I am not a techie guy and abhore reading complicated instructions and I have not had any issues learning it, or understanding the manual. My layout is such that the controller is pretty centrally located so having the walkaround does not matter to me. I can say the website is full of info as well.
Currently, I run a Proto 2000 with sound and have an Athearn that is getting the dcc decoder installed on it.
The only thing I can say is that the digitrax set has more amps than the NCE starter set. (I believe)
You have good choices. I doubt you will be unhappy either way. If you are really concerned with the 'user friendliness' of the systems don't let it cloud your decision.
Chuck

watching youtube videos of people hooking up the digitrax and the nce power cab.

Holy cow it seems like the nce power cab is a breeze to get running quick... If a person has basic knowledge in electronics it shouldnt be a problem.

I just watched a video of some little kid hooking it up out of the box and programing a loco and running it within like 10 mins maybe.

For the size of my layout and what i need to do, i was leaning towards the digitrax but the nce power cab just seems nicer, newer, easier to get going for newbies... am i wrong about my observation?

You want good, and cheap DCC? Impossible!!;) (just joking!)

I won't get into the user friendliness issues here, weve already beaten that horse a bit.
but
Consider this
Find out what the locals are running, especially local clubs that you may someday want to hitch your wagon to. Why? If you get the same make of system, then you get tons of free tech advice!:D

One other point. An NCE Powercab will operate as a ProCab when hooked to a ProCab system. (such as a buddies or a clubs) We have several members who have Powercabs for home, and use them as ProCabs at module deployments!:D

Here are some of my thoughts on the Power Cab/Zephyr debate:

A lot of people claim that the Power Cab is easier to use or more user friendly, but personally I much prefer the Zephyr with a DT402. I prefer the smaller and lighter DT402 over the Power Cab and I prefer the encoder knobs over a thumb wheel. I really like the dual throttle configuration of the DT402. Yes, the Power Cab has recall, but not direct control of two locos at the same time. I also prefer programming with the DT402. NCE's menu system makes it a little easier for beginners, but some aspects of it can get in the way if you get into fine tuning the loco. On the DT402, one button switches back and forth between operating and programming the loco. Also, when fine-tuning a CV, on NCE, you have to constantly re-enter the CV and value, the DT402 keeps the last CV and value you programmed and you can adjust the value by turning the knob.

So far, it may sound like I am trying to convince you to go with Digitrax, but I'm not. I'm just pointing out that NCE is not easier or more user friendly in all cases. I often see people state that NCE is easier and more user-friendly, but almost never see them give any examples as to how that is true.

Truth be known, however, I consider all of this to be secondary to whether or not the system will do what you need it to do, and within budget, which I think I will cover in another post.

When comparing the Power Cab and Zephyr, it might help to think of them like this: the Power Cab is a throttle with a very limited command station built in, while the Zephyr is a command station with a limited throttle built in. On the smallest of layouts, this gives an edge to the Power Cab because of it's walk around capabilities. If I was building a door-sized layout with no more than one other operator, then I would almost certainly have gone with a Power Cab.

Once you go beyond two operators, or a layout too large for a tethered throttle, then instead of comparing the Zephyr and Power Cab directly, I think it makes more since to compare the Zephyr with a DT402 and a Power Cab with a Smart Booster. In my opinion, the Zephyr wins out here in many cases because the Smart Booster is still pretty limited. The Smart Booster only increases the throttle limit to 4, and what makes that even more limiting is the Mini Panel and computer interface use throttle addresses. The Zephyr, with a 20 throttle limit allows for much more expansion(and the computer interface and any other Loconet accessories do not cut into that limit). This is one of the main reasons I went with a Zephyr(mine is an original, not an XTRA, so it only has a 12 throttle limit, but still way more than a Smart Booster). What I plan to do will be easily handled by a Zephyr, but if I had gone with a Power Cab it would have meant eventually upgrading to the full blown($$$) Power House Pro system.

When comparing the Power Cab and Zephyr, it might help to think of them like this: the Power Cab is a throttle with a very limited command station built in, while the Zephyr is a command station with a limited throttle built in. On the smallest of layouts, this gives an edge to the Power Cab because of it's walk around capabilities. If I was building a door-sized layout with no more than one other operator, then I would almost certainly have gone with a Power Cab.

Once you go beyond two operators, or a layout too large for a tethered throttle, then instead of comparing the Zephyr and Power Cab directly, I think it makes more since to compare the Zephyr with a DT402 and a Power Cab with a Smart Booster. In my opinion, the Zephyr wins out here in many cases because the Smart Booster is still pretty limited. The Smart Booster only increases the throttle limit to 4, and what makes that even more limiting is the Mini Panel and computer interface use throttle addresses. The Zephyr, with a 20 throttle limit allows for much more expansion(and the computer interface and any other Loconet accessories do not cut into that limit). This is one of the main reasons I went with a Zephyr(mine is an original, not an XTRA, so it only has a 12 throttle limit, but still way more than a Smart Booster). What I plan to do will be easily handled by a Zephyr, but if I had gone with a Power Cab it would have meant eventually upgrading to the full blown($$$) Power House Pro system.

Not trying to pick on you here Robert, but how is the Powercab command station "very limited"? Mine does the same thing as the PowerPro at the club. I have found no limits at all.

The original poster wants to run a max of four, and more probably 2 trains, so a Powercab with an extra throttle is more of an apples to apples comparison. The forthcoming Powercab upgrade due this month will I believe (not certain) changes the thottle limit to 4. (the info on Tony's Train Exchange site is a little confusing) No smart booster would be required and none is required for 2 throttle operation. Expandability is great but what does a 12 or 20 throttle limit bring to the table really? How many non club layouts have you visited that required 20 throttles, or even 12? How many of those were running off a Zephyr? What real good is capacity you'll never use?

I don't find the menu system cumbersone. I can access CV's directly withoug going through all the up front stuff. Sure I have to enter the number each time I change a value, but I can set up a Tsunami steam decoder from freshly installed to ready to run in just a few minutes (the tsunami diesels require JMRI :D) and simple non sound decoders are done in a flash. I can also program sound decoders on the programming track without a booster. That's a feature I really like.

Using what your friends are using is really important. I have not owned a Zephyr, though I have owned Digitrax equipment. Either system will work well. if you are not a gadget guy, the NCE human machine interface will be easier to use. If you are a gadget guy and want to incorporate a computer into your layout, Digitrax might be better for you. I sit in front of a computer all day so I have elected not to make one a necessary part of my model railroading experience. YMMV

Not trying to pick on you here Robert, but how is the Powercab command station "very limited"? Mine does the same thing as the PowerPro at the club. I have found no limits at all...

You don't think the two throttle limit is very limiting? You operate within that limit, so it does not bother you, but it is still a limit to the command station, and a major one to many people.

The original poster wants to run a max of four, and more probably 2 trains, so a Powercab with an extra throttle is more of an apples to apples comparison...

"MAX of four," he did not say how many operators, but if he wanted one per train with four trains, he has already exceeded the Power Cab's limit. Even with just two, he also said a 12 x 12 layout. It might get a little cumbersome with a throttle that can not be unplugged and a second operator on a layout that size.

...Expandability is great but what does a 12 or 20 throttle limit bring to the table really? How many non club layouts have you visited that required 20 throttles, or even 12?..

I would say there are probably very few home layouts that would require 12 throttles, but I would also venture to guess that there are a lot that require more than four. Use my situation as an example. I have a 14' x 20 ' area for my layout, so it is a pretty good size but certainly not a basement empire. I have two sons, a nephew, and three nieces. The layout will not support all of them operating at the same time, but it should support four operators fairly well. OK, four operators, a Smart Booster can handle that - except I also want fascia mounted push buttons to trigger turnout routes. With NCE that requires a Mini Panel, which uses a throttle address. I am also considering using PC based dispatching, and on NCE the PC interface uses a throttle address. No, I don't need anywhere near 12 throttles, but I am way beyond the Smart Booster's limit.

...What real good is capacity you'll never use?..

I would rather have extra capacity that I never use than to realize I would like to have just a little more capacity and not be able to get it without spending a lot of money, especially if I could have had that extra capacity for about the same money.

Back