Goo Gone gets it

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


jacon12

Member
Last night I was cleaning a section of track with a Bright Boy eraser and did a pretty good job, if I must say so myself. A little later I was cleaning locomotive wheels using the Goo Gone on a paper tower on the track method and when done I wiped the paper towel along the section of track also. I was kinda shocked to see what came off the area I had just 'cleaned' with the Bright Boy. I got a fresh paper towel, put the GG on it and wiped another section with the same result.
My questions are, does GG in any way do any harm using it this way?
If not, is there a better way of applying it other than folded paper towels which snag and tear on the ties?
Jarrell
 

IronBeltKen

Lazy Daydreamer
jacon12 said:
My questions are, does GG in any way do any harm using it this way?
If not, is there a better way of applying it other than folded paper towels which snag and tear on the ties?
Jarrell
Jarrell, that GooGone stuff is great isn't it, it's always my #1 preference for track cleaning.

Have you tried soaking a scrap piece of cork roadbed with it? I must admit that since I don't have an operating layout yet, I havent tried that myself. But when I used the cork 'dry' it did a great job of taking the paint off the tops of my rails after I painted them. Since cork is porous, it should be able to soak and 'hold' some GooGone to do what you want.
 

HaggisKennedy

Coal Shoveler
Goo Gone does leave some kind of residue. But, it cleans off with rubbing alky. I usually clean the track first with Goo Gone, then go over it with the rubbing alky, just in case.

Kennedy
 

jacon12

Member
CSX_road_slug said:
Jarrell, that GooGone stuff is great isn't it, it's always my #1 preference for track cleaning.

Have you tried soaking a scrap piece of cork roadbed with it? I must admit that since I don't have an operating layout yet, I havent tried that myself. But when I used the cork 'dry' it did a great job of taking the paint off the tops of my rails after I painted them. Since cork is porous, it should be able to soak and 'hold' some GooGone to do what you want.
I hadn't thought of cork, Ken... but maybe it would work unless it came apart. Goo Gone really is great at cleaning the stuff!
Jarrell
 

jacon12

Member
HaggisKennedy said:
Goo Gone does leave some kind of residue. But, it cleans off with rubbing alky. I usually clean the track first with Goo Gone, then go over it with the rubbing alky, just in case.

Kennedy
Now for my dumb question. *drum roll please*.... what's an alky?
Is this like the Bright Boy erasers?
Jarrell
 

sushob

Entrepreneurial Teen
jacon12 said:
Now for my dumb question. *drum roll please*.... what's an alky?
Is this like the Bright Boy erasers?
Jarrell
I think he's just referring to rubbing alcohol.
 

leghome

Maytag "Danged Agitator"
I use Wahls clipper oil on my track(found at Sally,s beauty supply and I think Wal-Mart). I like it better than Goo be Gone. Wahls is used to clean hair clipper heads and lube them. I have had no trouoble with slippage after using it.
 
I use paper towels, but now that I think about it, what about those blue disposable rags, that I can't remember the names of now? They won't tear as much as paper towels, I use them to clean my bike.
 

HaggisKennedy

Coal Shoveler
Yah, rubbing alcohol. I'm getting lazy in my old age, and during the Thanksgiving vacation....

I also use regular paper towels. I don't worry much about them tearing.

:D

Kennedy
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)


ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Top