Go gentle, newb here

Todd

lost & found
Hello there.

I been looking around and trying to take in as much as I can. First a little about me.
I really started getting into RC years ago when I started building and flying RC planes. I then took a break when my youngest was born. I then started tinkering around with RC cars, both nitro and electric. My oldest has also joined me at the local track, jumping and racing her car. She mainly chases the dog though. My youngest (now 4) really loves trains. He loves playing with his Thomas trains and really loves seeing the real deal. I catch myself playing with his Thomas set, and staring at the real deal as well.
I remember my first train I got for christmas around 20 years ago. Im not sure what kinda it was, all I knew is if I turn this knob, it would go. Now, my house is currently up for sale. My toys and hobbies has just made my house to small. Until im able to sale the house and buy a bigger one im kinda stuck. However im wanting to start a track in my office that i will be able to take with me when I do sale the house. I have a table that is 6x2.5 feet. Im wanting to go with N scale right now due to the limited amount of space. My plan is when I do buy a bigger house, i will be able to just give my son that train set and start building a BIGGER HO scale in my new place. My question is, can I build a n scale track on this table of mine. what kinda layout would I be able to do. I have an idea of what kinda scenery I want. Just not to sure about the track.

Thanks,
Todd

Hi,

Start by reading the beginner's guide clickable from my post. Takes about 5 minutes.

Yes you can guide a decent layout on that table. You may get hooked on the N-scale size though because even in your newer bigger house, you still get 4 times the layout in the space with N-scale. and N scale is pretty good these days.

Once you've read my article, come back and tell us your vision.

Thanks Mouse,

Im going to use foam for my scenery. My era is more of a WWII military theme. Im wanting a grassy runway with some fighter planes. Some mountains and tunnels. I would like to have a nice bridge with a little water under it and a local town. Im wanting a turnout from the main going to the military base for dropping off supplies. this track would run through the town. to get the the base. would love a staging yard if room permits it. all powered by DCC. would two mains fit nicely or is it to much?

i hope this gives you an idea of what im wanting.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would suggest you do some reading, as others have said.

There is a lot to learn and it will keep you busy for years. You have the whole internet available otherwise you wouldn't be here. Look around.

Let us know how it is going.

Hi Todd and welcome,

There is a lot of info available on the site with many knowledgeable individuals
and many of us are building or expanding our layouts with a lot of knowledge to share so your on the right track, NPI, by asking questions!

I might suggest doing something in HO to begin with such as a small switching layout that you could incorporate later into a larger layout!

Take care,

David Smith

Back