Gmtx sd60 9041

KCSRailfan

KCS Railfan,and Modeler.
Well heres my version of GMTX SD60 9041, and my second attempt at weathering,and I like how its came out. All that needs to be done is to add ditchlights the lettering an numbering an a few other details.

Today002-21.jpg

Today003-24.jpg

Today004-18.jpg

Today005-21.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The Trucks are originally blue,but have and crap load of dirt on em if you look close blue specs are on the trucks. EMD 3 is the original SD60 with radial trucks. Thanks on the top of the nose cause I didnt know it was black.

Can I make a suggestion? Next time do the decaling prior to weathering as now your decals are going to stand out, possibly too much and in a lot of cases the actual names/numbers seem to weather more than the actual paint in the real world as most of the time the numbers/names are actually vinyl decals rather than paint.

Actually, these were ex-Oakway Leasing units, so it would be correct to weather before numbering.

GATX would not actually repaint/clean/wash these units before renumbering, so the numbers and any other markings would appear fresh while everything else is grungy. If GATX repainted an entire locomotive (sometimes they contract the paint work out to other railroads) then the engine would be as clean as the weathering.

Here's an example. This clunker is currently being leased by Pan Am Railways.

201204011830294869.jpg

Photo by Billy Wehmeyer

Correct as EMD 3 prior to being patched for GMTX it served on BNSF Coal trains alot so it was nice and dirty before it got the patch.

Heres the Final Weathering hopefully i'll be getting better at this.
Enjoy

Today001-26.jpg

Today002-22.jpg

Today003-25.jpg

The Trucks are originally blue,but have and crap load of dirt on em if you look close blue specs are on the trucks. EMD 3 is the original SD60 with radial trucks. Thanks on the top of the nose cause I didnt know it was black.

I definately see green on the trucks in the photobucket photo I linked to. I would be surprised if it still had the blue trucks as they seem to get swapped around fairly frequently. Maybe there is a SD70MAC out there with the blue trucks. Now that I think about it the SD60 was regular DC drive and the MACs are AC so maybe they are off a repainted ATSF SD75M.

I know Milwaukee's bicentennial SD40-2 had blue trucks but later the blue ones were replaced with black and one of the orange ones had the dirty blue trucks.

Edit: I looked up more recent photos and the trucks are now so dirty no green is showing through. There is a hint of green on the front truck in a photo from 2009 on Railpictures.net.

I'm modeling the same loco in 1996 so it is fun to see how others model it later in its life.

Actually, the Admiral cab is NS's version of the standard cab for the SD40-2s.

The wide cab for the SD60E is NOT an admiral cab. They don't have an official name for that cab. Personally, I call it the unibrow cab since the area where the white unibrow is sticks out.

So far, there's 9 of them. 6900-6908, 2 of which were ex-HLCX.

I'm patiently waiting for someone to make those cabs in HO as a replacement part so that I can build a small fleet of them.

You got me on that one:eek:, I spoke before researching completely:eek:, and you are right;).
Either way, both cabs do look awful with the tilted windows.:(
TB:cool:

They do look awful.... but I may change my mind if someone decides to make those as replacement parts in HO scale ;)

I'm patiently waiting for someone to make those cabs in HO as a replacement part so that I can build a small fleet of them.

Try the 6300 series sd60e's as you can use sd50's for the starting point with just changes to the details and according to what rd number you choose, the sideframes.

But back to this topic, this model looks great for the proto, lease companies rarely paint their aquired locos.:cool:

TB:cool:

Back