Giving in to temptation...

Just curious, on the average how do you control your spending? How often do you give in? Do give yourself a certain time of the month? Or are you like me and say no to everything but then buy it anyway, even when you're saying no!
This whole topic is one reason I encourage people to choose a specific time period, geographic location, and prototype (or rules on a freelance). That way when something cool pops up there are three potential arguments against it. Wrong time period, never ran in chosen geographic area, or not correct prototype (not fitting freelance equipment rules). Much easier to say. "no". On the other hand, if it does meet all those things then there is no beating ones self up when purchased because it fits the plan.

Well, aaaa, yeah I just bought an Atlas GE Dash-8-40BW, BNSF #524 off E-Bay. So much for control. But I have been looking and wanting one

G'day Red.....It's this simple...Question 1. "Do I need it "....Answer 1. No.. Question 2." Do I have room for it " Answer 2 No... Question 3 . "can I really afford it "...Answer 3. No... If this has happened to you , there is one solution....BUY IT... because you've fulfilled all the criteria to buy..Works for me every single time . Cheers Rod...

Iron Horseman: I agree with you about sticking to a time period, B U T ...............

My model railroad time period is the late 1970s and I targeted that specifically. Why? Regarding engines and cars my time period is basically from 1938 to 1978 [for interchange purposes railcars are limited to 40 years of life unless heavily upgraded.] And the locos (steam and diesel) used during this time frame were many and varied. So, I have a plethora of engines and cars I can purchase (doggone it :) ) and stay in my time period.

And when on ebay I can easily say, "Wow that's a really cool car/engine/etc, and it would fit right in." Then I have to remind myself, "Where are you going to put it?" (This usually helps, but not always.)

Not only do I run trains but I kinda sorta collect the cars and engines too, and I enjoy changing the freight trains' consists a few cars at a time. (By the way, am I the only nut-case that does that?)

Anyway, I've liked trains from around age 2 (1949) when (I've been told) my Grandma would help my Mom by taking me (the oldest) then me and my brother for a walk every day, and the main line of the MoPac between St. Louis and Little Rock was 1 block away. (I saw some steam locos go by but don't remember them.) Plus there were two active spurs/side tracks right there also. That was in the Missouri Ozarks, 6 miles from the highest point in MO, Taum Sauk Mountain.

I'll share one quick memory of that time. When I was older, whenever a freight train stopped to switch one or both of the spur tracks, I'd jump on my bicycle and go down and watch. The way the spurs left the mainline was to the south, so the trains were always north-bound, which means the track grade was still down-hill from Tip Top Mountain. After the switching was done by the head and rear brakemen, the rear brakeman would wait for the caboose to come by and run and jump on. Many, many times I thought the train was going too fast, but I never saw any of the brakemen miss catching that caboose.

DougC

Hey DougC

I usually change the entire train, locomotive to caboose, but that is how I justify having too much equipment. I run everything, for a bit any way.

As for being a nut case; we are all nut cases, we are grown men playing with toys, but I think that is a fantastic thing!!! I thank God for my toys.

Thanks for sharing your memories, I always find those fascinating. Even if the memories are of playing with trains. First hand memories of the real trains, like yours are the best.

I only have two bad habits left my trains and my boat, spending money on my trains is nothing compared to maintaining my boat.I must really be a little short of a full case!

Louis:

Your first sentence - I never even thought about doing that. I'll have to give it some thinkin. Come to think of it, the only times I did that was when I moved the layout twice (to different houses).

Your second sentence - On reflection, for us I think being a nut case must be a given. :) And even you Johne230 (immediate post above) share this observation. Unless you have brass O or G scale (and maybe even HO) trains I can see how a boat could really empty the pockets.

You're welcome. I might find myself digging up some more.

DougC

I am with Johne on that - owning a boat is the almost as bad as having a wife; actually - no, owning a boat is much worse on the pocket! Bottom line is simple:

Boat = $0 in pocket, bank account or any where else, no matter HOW much you started with :)

Next is a wife/girl friend/boyfriend (your pick)

Closely followed by a Corvette, which is closely followed by

A Harley which is closely followed by ..... (drum roll please .....)

Kids!

Trains take nothing by comparison and I wouldn't have it any other way :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Back