Genesis SD70M ditch lights, Digitrak LB & DH123

Genesis SD70M ditch lights, Digitrak LB & DH123

I have an old Genesis SD-70M UP 4016(G6201) from Ebay long ago (different project from my other one).

The Athearn documentation describes installing ditch lights and connecting to the front headlight tabs.

However this has a Digitrak light board (labeled Digitrak 2003) that has wires coming out to a Digitrak 9 pin connector + DH123.

The ditch lights are connected to the first 2 of four tabs opposite the motor connection. The tabs are labeled FL_?

How would one typically turn these on??

Do I need to get a better decoder??
Decoder Pro lists 2 and 4 function DH123 versions. How the heck would determine which version it is??

Four function means head & tail light, motor speed & direction, right??

thanks ,,,, ken

i have a few dh123, they only have output for headlight and backup light (2 functions)

you can get a dh163 for pretty much the same price

Anyway to illuminate with 123?

i have a few dh123, they only have output for headlight and backup light (2 functions)

you can get a dh163 for pretty much the same price

Thanks julienjj, Cost isnt an issue for me but the 163 goes for about 50% more or a whole 8-12$.

What I was after were comments as to whether there is any way the ditch lights could illuminate with this setup with the DH123.

I am assuming that this lightboard was packaged with a DH163 or?? and a previous owner thought he would save by replacing it :-(

thanks ,,, ken

The ditch lights would have to be wired into the headlight for them to light up. They will not flash though. The bulbs in the ditch lights do not have a set polarity so as long as you put one wire into the positive, and one wire into the negative for each bulb, they will light up. Just take the clip off of the headlight tabs, slip in the wires from the ditch lights, and replace the clips.

Agreement then DIburning???

The ditch lights would have to be wired into the headlight for them to light up. They will not flash though. The bulbs in the ditch lights do not have a set polarity so as long as you put one wire into the positive, and one wire into the negative for each bulb, they will light up. Just take the clip off of the headlight tabs, slip in the wires from the ditch lights, and replace the clips.

You agree then that whomever replaced the original light board with this Digitrax board would have received a better eg. DH163 decoder with the replacement board - otherwise why go to the trouble of connecting to the function tabs.

I will give the DLights a try on the headlight tabs to verify functioning lamps before replacing the decoder.

thanks ,,, ken

The light board is not a Digitrax light board. The light board is an original Athearn. Digitrax does not make a light board where you would plug in an additional DH123.

The DH123 only has 2 functions. Always has, always will. It does not have 4 functions.

If the light board has function tabs (there are many versions of the Athearn light board) where the lights are connected to, then buy a DH163 or a 4/5/6 function decoder with a 9-pin JST plug and replace the DH123. Then just program the outputs and you will have separate ditch lights.

It is Digitrax

The light board is not a Digitrax light board. The light board is an original Athearn. Digitrax does not make a light board where you would plug in an additional DH123.

It says Digitrax on it as part of the original PCboard screening. Thats what is puzzling - I guess it is from before both of our times.

thanks ,,, ken

Ok, and theres another decoder tethered to it? There shouldn't be. I don't remember the CVs, but if you should be able to map those function pads to function keys.

With the lights hooked up to the function pads, do they light up when you hit F1 and F2? (those should be the default). Try every function key on your controller to see if they will light up. It's unlikely that the previous owner wired them in and didn't program them.

Photos - such as they are

I think that posting a picture would really help !

Well I doubt that even good photos would help and I know you guys believe me as to whats there :) Have to get better and more knowledgable with the camera as well.

I appreciate all comments, instructions and commiseration.

The text Digitrax is on the left of the right hand mounting clip. To the right is what looks like mounting holes for an 8 pin plug.

In photo1 you can see the DL wires leading under the cab.

Photo1 - with DH123
Photo2 - without
Photo3 - without

thanks ,,, ken

That is an Athearn board. It is not a decoder. If it says digitrax, then it must have been made by digitrax for Athearn. I believe that Digitrax invented the 9-pin JST harness, while the NMRA standardized on the 8-pin plug. Thats why Athearn is the only manufacturer to have a board with a 9-pin plug along with the 8-pin plug since Digitrax makes the boards for them.

Conclusion

That is an Athearn board. It is not a decoder.

I never said the board was a decoder - I callled it a Digitrax LightBoard since it had Digitrax on it.

I guess we all agree the LB is original then and a previous owner either went cheap from day1 or downgraded simply for the sale to me.

Used stuff & Ebay - lots of fun for your $

thanks ,,, ken

Athearn part #G63868 is the light board that you are looking at.

The previous owner didn't go cheap. It's wired like that from the factory. The previous owner probably used a DH123 for the motor and headlight functions and didn't care about the ditch lights.

Back