GE 44 Ton Switcher

waredbear

I bought the switcher off of E-Bay and it was supposed to work. I put it on a track to see it operate and the engine moved slowly and then started smoking. Is it worth replacing the motors or is there something I can do to repair it? I see new ones on the Internet for $40 so I'm guessing this one will be a sitter or a parts queen.

Reid in NC

If that is the Bachmann unit, it definately is a manufacturing flaw.

Check the wires above the trucks, the solder joints are on the top and will ground themselves to the metal body causing a short.

Yes, it is the Bachmann Spectrum and the body is plastic. I will check to see if that is the case. I was also wondering what would be a good DCC decoder to put in it. I'm thinking of using DigiTrax if I can ever get the money.

Thanks

15 minutes later and I'm having to correct my post above. I have a temporary oval downstairs set-up for my 4 year old grandson. I took the Switcher down there and it ran forwards and backwards with no problems. The only thing is it is slower in one direction but I'm going to guess that is reverse. I took the Switcher apart three years ago so I'm hoping the pictures I took then will help me in putting it back together.

Thanks again.

Last edited by a moderator:
had the same thing happen to one of the first release of the 44 tonners that bachmann made. ran for 2 hours than up in smoke.

might get a cheep replacement but it seams to be a common issue with them?

There were some serious problems with the first runs of this engine, like the sloppy soldering jobs shown on the sides of the frame. Call Bachmann and let them know it won't run correctly. They'll give you a return authorization number. Send it off with $20 and you get a brand new 44 tonner, with dual motors and a better decoder. You don't have to be the original owner or have a receipt. Bachmann has a lifetime guarantee, no matter where it came from. You have to get it back together though, since any signs of customer abuse or tampering voids the warranty.

Questions about fixing Bachmann engines seem to come up all the time. Well-meaning members will come up with all kinds of suggestions, but many of the things suggested will void your warranty. If you have a problem with a Bachmann engine, send it back and let them fix or replace it. The more time you spend fooling around with it, the more likely they'll attribute the problem to customer abuse.

There were some serious problems with the first runs of this engine, like the sloppy soldering jobs shown on the sides of the frame. Call Bachmann and let them know it won't run correctly. They'll give you a return authorization number. Send it off with $20 and you get a brand new 44 tonner, with dual motors and a better decoder. You don't have to be the original owner or have a receipt. Bachmann has a lifetime guarantee, no matter where it came from. You have to get it back together though, since any signs of customer abuse or tampering voids the warranty.

Questions about fixing Bachmann engines seem to come up all the time. Well-meaning members will come up with all kinds of suggestions, but many of the things suggested will void your warranty. If you have a problem with a Bachmann engine, send it back and let them fix or replace it. The more time you spend fooling around with it, the more likely they'll attribute the problem to customer abuse.

I agree send it back......only time I would work on a locomotive from B-mann is if the model is no longer in production. I got a N scale doodle bug that runs like crap....no replacement for a new one to it.:confused: Either way send it back they should replace it with a new one.....

Is the dual motor version still being produced? I tried to buy one for the power trucks but couldn't find one anywhere. I was, however able to get 4 new power trucks from Bachmann for $10.00 each. I think all that is available now are the single motor DC and the DCC version. I bought mine all new on Ebay from a seller called The Favorite Spot at very resonable prices.

No, the dual motor units are not in production. I know Bachmann has some in stock for parts and, if you send in a dual motor version, that's what you'll get back, until they run out of the dual motor version. Ther only way to find out is send it and see what comes back.

From what I recall the motor bearings in these locos were made from plain brass, not the type with impregnated oil (forget the actual name). The plan is to lubricate them and see if this helps. I know this happened to mine, a bit of smoke started coming out. Took it apart and oiled the bearings and it worked fine. Might be worth a try. Also some of their early diesels tended to be noisy due to a lack of lubrication too.

Thanks

I appreciate all of the suggestions. I don't know if I want to take the chance of sending the Switcher in and end up with a one motor version. I like the pulling power of two motors. How would I go about lubricating the bearings? I have no problem in taking it apart and working on it but I want to make sure I know what I'm doing before I start.

Thanks

Reid, the single motor version actually has more pulling power than the the dual motor version. It also has more weight, pulls more cars, and runs more smoothly. The dual motor versions tend to have lots of problems. The single motor version also has a better decoder. I'd still see if I could get a new single motor version from Bachmann for $20

Back