G scale track Gauge & scale

local 23

I have modeled in N, HO & 0 scale and now am going to try my hand at G scale. However I am a little confused at the different scales associated with G scale railroading! In researching G scale I have found that there are primarily 4 distinct scales used by the different manufacturers of G scale equipment, Aristocraft and USA trains are listed as 1:29 scale, Bachman is listed as 1:22.5 scale, LGB is listed as 1:24 scale and their is also a 1:32 scale. As I see it Aristocraft and USA trains will interchange on one anothers track but they will not interchange with Bachman, LGB or the 1:32 track and vice-versa, so I believe that if I start a layout I had better stick with the Aristocraft and USA trains and track since they are both 1:29 scale and will run on either track and they both have a large variety of loco and rolling stock to choose from. I really need help with as this is somewhat confusing to me, am I wrong about the different scales and track interchangeability. HELP!

Wehn doing G, I'd assume its much easier to just buy by the scale, not G gauge. I.E. 1:29, 1:22.5, ect.

Hang in there, Local 23. There are several "G"ood people on board this forum that can help you get going. I'm sure they will be with you soon as they see your post. :) ;)

The track gauge is the same for all the scales. 1/32 and 1/29 are basically standard gauge. The 1/22.5 is 3ft narrow gauge and the LGB is meter gauge.
It's like 7 1/2 inch gauge live steam. 1.5 to 1.7 inch scale is standard gauge with 2 1/2 inch scale is 3ft gauge and 3 3/4 to 4 inch is for 2 ft scale. I do standard gauge and 4 inch scale 2ft gauge. When things get so big you don't seem to mind the mixing. We do try and not mix scales in one train though.
I hope this helps. Everytime I go through this explination I get a headach.
Someone pass the asprin, please.

Back