G-man, how about a retrospective on reed switches?

You sticking to your guns or do you still think they're the cat's meow?

Whattsup with dat?

Space, the reed switch detection system is still working better than I had ever expected. Of the 24 reed switches installed, we've had one become intermittent that will require replacement. It sometimes sticks and shows an emty track as occupied, the best kind of failure if it has to happen. That has been the only problem! Considering the low upfront cost and system performance, I'd do it again in a heartbeat. LGM and I are both happy with the way it turned out and have enjoyed running trains using it.

For anyone wondering what in the world we're talking about... ;)
http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2518

Eric, where did you purchase the reed switches?

Hey Rex. The reed switches are from Miniatronics.

The only thing I'd do differently on our set up would be to use 3 or 5 mm LEDs instead of the Miniatronics micros only because they would look better in the panel.

Thanks Eric.
Hitching a ride on this thread:
I have been thinking about the outer wall and tracking a trains progress in that section without going there. I believe a panel on the inside wall connected to a sequential series of reed switches on the mainline would be a neat (cheap) way to see the trains movement as it traveled the length.

Thanks Eric.
Hitching a ride on this thread:
I have been thinking about the outer wall and tracking a trains progress in that section without going there. I believe a panel on the inside wall connected to a sequential series of reed switches on the mainline would be a neat (cheap) way to see the trains movement as it traveled the length.

I agree. It would be easy to accomplish. A couple of 6 conductor cables to that area would support a 6 LED panel. This might help prevent another cornfield meet the next time the ARG experts come to run trains. :D

Ya know Rex, the more I think about it, maybe technology can't overcome the average ARGers deficiencies... :D :D :D

Ha! Ha!
I agree...technology has a long way to go before it can help us. Maybe we should go back to running trains around Christmas trees. Hahahaha!

Back