Fun Fare 4/27

PNKFLOYD

Mikey
I recently found a book in my father's storage shed that I remember my grandmother reading aloud to the grandchildren.
It is a 1949 tattered copy of "Fun Fare: A Treasury of Reader's Digest Wit and Humor". It contains many humorous stories and quotes about the famous and everyday people of the time.
Many of the jokes and stories use trains are part of the settings, showing how much they were common surroundings
I'd like to share one of the stories with you today and maybe others later, if nobody objects too streniously.

When Lord Halifax was a young man, he traveled one day from London to Bath, seated between two sober-faced spinsters. No one spoke during the long journey.
Just before reaching Bath, the train entered a tunnel and young Halifax put the back of his hand to his lips and made loud kissing noises. As the train emerged into daylight he looked from one to the other of the startled old ladies, rose, tipped his hat and said with a mischievous wink, "To which of you two charming ladies am I indebted for that most delightful interlude?"
Then he stepped out, leaving the two oldsters glaring susiciously at each other.

Enjoy your day!:)

Back