Frateschi

There's a European flavor to it: Type of cars and loco, style, buildinh kits, couplers etc.

I like the appartment buillding kit. I am sure it could turn into something decent.

I also noticed that the bridges and tracks have a close ressemblance to Altas RR stuff.

As far as the quality of the rolling stock, in this day-and-age, the best solution would be the "get one" and see.

From what it's worth:

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Brazilian company Indústrias Reunidas Frateschi is a model railroad manufacturer based in Ribeirão Preto, near São Paulo. Today mainly exporting to Argentina, Chile, Uruguay, United States, France, Spain, Switzerland, South Africa, Indonesia, Taiwan, New Zealand and Australia. He is the only model railroad manufacturer in South America.

In 1958, the toy factory Frateschi was founded by Galileu Frateschi. It produced stuffed animals, wooden furniture. This was followed by the first model railway products such as telephone poles and pylons. In 1967, the toy factory Frateschi has been renamed to "Indústrias Reunidas Frateschi Ltda" to concentrate fully on model trains with its core business focused on Brazilian railways (RFFSA, Fepasa, CPEF, EFS, etc. In 1993 started a cooperation with Atlas and exported to the United States. The company annually organizes summits to promote the brand and gather model railroaders in cities such as Ribeirao Preto, Campinas and São Carlos. The last one in 2009 (13th edition) was held in São Carlos.

It produce only for the H0 scale. In range, there are locomotives, passenger and freight cars, rails, and building kits.

In July 2008 the following models were produced by locomotives[1].

MODEL KIND HOME PRODUCTION RUNNING PAINTINGS

U23C Diesel-electric 2008 C-C RFFSA (Fase I) e MRS
C30-7 Diesel-electric 2007 C-C MRS, C. Quintella, ALL and Brasil Ferrovias
2-C+C-2 or V8 Electric 2004 2-C+C-2 Central, Cia Paulista (Fase I e II), RFFSA (Fase I) and FEPASA (Fase II e III)
Ten-wheeler Steam 1995 4-6-0 Central, Cia Paulista, Mogiana, Pennsylvania Railroad, Atchison Topeka & Santa Fe and Denver & Rio Grande Western
Consolidation Steam 1991 2-8-0 Central, Cia Paulista, Sorocabana, Pennsylvania Railroad, Atchison Topeka & Santa Fe e Denver & Rio Grande Western and Baltimore & Ohio
U5B Diesel-electric 2000 B-B MRS, RFFSA (Fase I) and ALL
G12 / G8 Diesel-electric 1975 B-B Cia Paulista (Fase II), RFFSA (Fase I), EFVM (Fase II) and FEPASA (Fase II e III)
G12 Diesel-electric 2006 A-1-A RFFSA (Fase I), EFVM (Fase II), New Zealand Railways (Fase I e II) and Ferrocarriles Argentinos
G22U / G22CU Diesel-electric 1984 B-B e C-C G22U - RFFSA (Fase I e II) and ALL
G22CU - RFFSA (Fase I), ALL, Ferrocarriles Argentinos, NCA (Argentina), Metropolitano (Argentina), Ferrovia (Argentina) and Taiwan (R.O.C)
FA-1 Diesel-electric 1989 B-B RFFSA (Fase I), Central, New York Central, Erie Railroad, Lehigh Valley Railroad, Pennsylvania Railroad and Soo Line Railroad
U20C Diesel-electric 1986 C-C RFFSA (Fase I), MRS, Brasil Ferrovias, FEPASA (Fase II e III), New Zealand Railways (Fase II), South African Railways and Ferrosur Roca

Just a thought, are these compatable with the electrical systems of the U.S? I think marklin AC can have a problem, and just from looking at their website, ive found CA and CC. I have no clue what CA and CC means, just dont want to see you buy something and have it not work on the layout. Im going to assume they are because as the wikipedia article said, one of their biggest importers was the US, but again, just a thought.

Just a thought, are these compatable with the electrical systems of the U.S? I think marklin AC can have a problem, and just from looking at their website, ive found CA and CC. I have no clue what CA and CC means, just dont want to see you buy something and have it not work on the layout. Im going to assume they are because as the wikipedia article said, one of their biggest importers was the US, but again, just a thought.

It appears that they're DC, the same as any HO. I wouldn't use their power pack anyway. I'm far too hooked on MRC's classic controllers.

~ Dave

Meaning, they don't run well, don't look correct, not designed and built well or what specifically?

Look up Frateschi on eBay and you'll see what I mean. Chunky cast-on details, truck mounted couplers, and I'm pretty sure they also use pancake motors.

First I've heard of them.
Wow that is one funky looking cement car tho eh?
That apartment building has possibilities as a background building... hmmm

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, all of you are speculating...

I have both a Frateschi G12 BB and G12 A1A as they are the only source of these models (that I know of) to build a CNR G12.

Unfortunately they are OO scale models, with HO scale wheelsets for whatever reason. I obtained them for GMD1 trucks which are proper HO scale.

They run like Bachmanns, my two run very well after a break in period.

They have closed can motors like newer IHCs do. They are 2 rail DC. They have LED lighting.

If you order your Frateschi stuff from their US supplier they come with RP25 wheels, otherwise they're NEM wheels (pizza cutters)

I have not ordered any freight cars...

The details are still a bit rough though. If I can get a junker I bet it would make an interesting flat car load.

I e-mailed an eBay seller about his 2-8-0 up for auction. His reply:

"The driver rods are indeed plastic...thus the tender drive system. The wheels are composed of a steel axle, what appears to be a steel spoked driver (center portion of drivers appears to be steel) on a very heavy plastic tire pressed-on the spoked (center) portion of the driver."

So I won't be buying any Frateschi products any time soon.

~ Dave

Back