FORUM UPGRADES - COMPLETED (For real this time! I hope...)

Still broke - the same issues as TERRY outlined?
That's a big negatory there, Red Rider. I thought it might be something to do with my phone earlier. I turned off the company wifi, and went to cell data. No joy. I then got home, onto my desktop a few minutes ago, and again taking over a minute to load the forum. I couldn't quote post 54, "oops, the post doesn't exist". Each attempt took over a minute to get to the "oops" part. I tried 3x, this is the first try without attempting to quote.

Duplicate or conflicting IPs in the DNS?

All of the domains on the server share the same IP. That's pretty much standard these days. When we first started the forums, every domain had its own IP. They simply ran out of available IPS, so they developed a way for them to be shared. That's nothing new, we've been doing it on this server for years with the bookstores etc. But the forum had it's own IP. The recent updates to the software aren't as friendly to hosting dedicated IPs.

Given that, we are in the process of getting rid of the dedicated IP addresses and putting -everything- on the shared IPs. We did that for this forum a couple of days ago. Today I was migrating a bookstore and something broke. It was very clear what happened, when from flying to timing out. That was good, as it made it clear where the problem is. We're pretty sure it's fixed, and for me things are back to real fast. But with caching etc, problems may be rippling out there for a while. Sorry about that.

Last edited:
Just as an update from my end. 22 seconds to get to the site, 8 seconds for the log in screen, instantly logged in, 8 seconds for "What's New" to load, 8 seconds for this thread to load.
EDIT: Instantly for "Post Reply".

Just as an update from my end. 22 seconds to get to the site, 8 seconds for the log in screen, instantly logged in, 8 seconds for "What's New" to load, 8 seconds for this thread to load.
EDIT: Instantly for "Post Reply".

"Instantly for post reply". Yep, that's what I'm seeing too. Once you're here, the place is very fast. I think the bogus DNS records may be floating around out there for a while before they clear up. Once they do, it should be back to running nice and fast.

Since previous post, things are back to normal.

Good, same here. Let's hope the cache clears up quickly and we get back to "Wow, this is really running fast!"

Sidenote, as long as nothing breaks, I'm not touching ANYTHING on ANY of the domains for a few days. :)

I might tweak it a little but it's the way the track is at that point. There's a bit of a curve there, and maybe a grade too, that seems to be having an effect. If I make the locomotive "level", then the buildings and catenary supports are leaning to the right.

View attachment 185160

I did end up adjusting it a bit and making a few other changes. I like the new version.

Status update:

1711848147836.png

OK, folks, it's probably going to be a while. After about 4 chats and calls, I was finally able to get them to escalate the problem and create a ticket.

We've had a preview of how fast this place can work if it's given the chance! Now we just need to have them make a permanent fix.
1711854421306.png

Our team is working diligently to resolve your issue as quickly as possible. However, depending on the complexity of the issue it may take 24-72 hours for resolution.

Back