FORD Auto Module

The original shows up just fine from here Josh---it still is the quoted ones that are deleted---:confused::confused:

Thanks Berry,

I dont think the ones that were quoted will work again as they were quoted with the old picture links. I think he would need to edit his post to re-quote my edited post with the new links for them to show lol

That looks great Josh!

I live in Louisville, KY, & a HUGE part of the rail traffic in & around this city is based on the two Ford plants we have here...

I remember a few years back, several articles in MR on modeling various eras, & aspects of the auto industry...at least one on building a layout based on that one industry...interesting stuff!

Thanks Drew!!

You wouldnt happen to remember which months of which year that MR had those articles would you? That sounds interesting and id like to get those issues with those articles for reference :D

Ya might send a email off to MR and inquire about em. I dont subscribe, but do have first hand knowledge inside and out of the local toyota Plant.

Im sure Ford Operates in much the same Way.. Youll be needing lots of Containers and Dropped trailers, along with a couple Yard trucks to move em. Some live unloading is done, but those would be mostly expedite Carriers, like Panther II, FedEx, etc etc

You've Been doing a great job modeling, look forward to seeing the finished setup thou!!

Its been quite some time since anything was done on this module. Thats going to change starting next week though :D

I just got some Micro Engineering Code 83 Weathered Rail in. I also ordered some Central Valley Branchline Tie Strips, and 2 LH and 2 RH #7 switch kits so I can lay the track around the Auto-Loading Racks and along the front of the Stamping Plant. I will also lay a track back on the rear of the module for the boxcars to go in and out of the Assembly Plant. Progress to come soon :D

How expensive are those kits to find now? As for those Expeditions. Why are they so valuable now? Its not like they are different then any other vehicle thats no longer available right? Or is something special about them?

Last edited by a moderator:
How expensive are those kits to find now? As for those Expeditions. Why are they so valuable now? Its not like they are different then any other vehicle thats no longer available right? Or is something special about them?

The Walthers FORD kits usually will set you back a pretty penny. This is one of those cases where I would gladly rather pay FULL retail on these sold out kits! They are usually going for some big bucks, and I just cant justify spending that much on these kits. Ive been lucky so far and scored the FORD kits I do have for not too bad of prices, so that what Im trying to do with the rest of the kits i need/want still.

My current wish/looking to buy list:

2 More Assembly plants
2 Tire Plants
1-2 More Auto-Distribution Facility's

The Expeditions and such, i have no idea why in the world they always go for ridiculous prices! It blows my mind, especially when there are alternatives like the River Point Station Models now....

you H.O. guy suck :( i wish us N scaler had half the
tractors you guys have!! I mean a ac4400cw passing a 1948 mack is
silly:mad: gotta love the larger scale for the extra detailing you can get

looking forward to more pics :D:D

you H.O. guy suck :( i wish us N scaler had half the
tractors you guys have!! I mean a ac4400cw passing a 1948 mack is
silly:mad: gotta love the larger scale for the extra detailing you can get

looking forward to more pics :D:D

Showcase Miniatures has a Kenworth T-600 available in n scale, with and without a sleeper cab. Best 'modern' you can get for now, it's not a bad kit actually.

Showcase Miniatures has a Kenworth T-600 available in n scale, with and without a sleeper cab. Best 'modern' you can get for now, it's not a bad kit actually.

GHQ also has a few Trucks available that dont look half bad either, in fact I wish they would make them in HO as well lol

Today I changed the arrangement of the Stamping Plant to make it an an angle to make it stand out a little more then just having it straight and parallel to the module edges like it was before. This also gives me a little more room for the 2 truck docks on the right end of the structure, and will allow for a more eye catching loading dock scene for boxcars along the front of the plant. A small yard will be layed in the front of the Stamping Plant for some boxcars and auto-racks, and trailer storage will be along the back side of the Stamping Plant (the triangular section of pavment in the photos below). I made sure to leave just enough room for a single siding for the Assembly Plant track for the auto-boxcars to go in and out of.

These pics show the newly rough poured pavement around the Stamping Plant. You can see where the Stamping Plant will rest right up next to the "Paving Tape" once the pavement has been completed (still another 2-3 coats to get it smooth). You will notice that this first coat of pavement is a extremely ROUGH coat. It is very bumpy, but that is how you will get the best results with this Woodland Scenics Smooth-It stuff. Rough coat, followed by a sanding when dry, then a semi-smooth coat, sanding when dry, then a smooth coat. If more smoothing is needed after the smooth coat, then I will do so and apply a "fine" top coat of Smooth-It to get a good smooth finish. Then it will be time for some paint. You will also notice in the pictures below a few spots that were not filled with the Smooth-It, 2 of the spots were where I had to lay additional "Paving Tape" to allow for easier laying of the material, and the long joint along the crack where the 2 pieces of foam meet. These 3 gaps will be filled in the following coats, and in the end you shouldnt be able to see them if I can do a good job hiding them LOL

Without further a-do, here are a few pics of the progress made just a few mins ago. Now we play the waiting game and watch the Smooth-It dry

SL373907.jpg

SL373908.jpg

SL373909.jpg

Wow Josh,
You really have some great projects going. I've got a few questions and comments.
Questions:
Where did you get the gates for the chain link fence?
Who makes the car carriers you have in the photos?
What did you use for the pipes on the roof?

Comments:
The parking area in front of the truck loading dock seems a little narrow like a truck can't turn into a loading door.
The chain link fence material you used should be rotated so the links (diamond shapes) should be tall not long.
I would have the tracks in cement so the trucks could drive over them to get into the docks.

I guess that's it for now but I gotta say it's cool looking and I really want to know where you can get those gates.

Dave

First off, thanks for the comments :D

Where did you get the gates for the chain link fence?

The gates are from the Chain Link Fence kits Walthers has:
http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/933-3125

The sliding gates at the guard shack at the entrance to the plant are from the retired Guard Shack Kit:
http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/933-3505

Nu-Line Structures made a good sliding gate, but they went under and are no longer available either. BLMA makes a good Sliding gate that could be used that comes in there Wrought Iron Fencing kit:
http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/176-4205

Who makes the car carriers you have in the photos?

The Auto-Carriers are from the sold out Walthers FORD Auto-Distribution Center kits:
http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/933-3076

Im still after 1-2 more of these kits myself, not only for the Auto-Carriers in them, but because the loading ramps are pretty cool! Lonestar Models makes a very nice Brass Auto-Carrier, but they are quite on the expensive side...:
http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/437-5031

What did you use for the pipes on the roof?

All the pipes and supports on the roof are from Walthers Piping and Storage Tank Kits

Piping Kit - http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/933-3105
Refinery Piping Kit - http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/933-3114
Industrial Storage Tanks - http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/933-3514

The parking area in front of the truck loading dock seems a little narrow like a truck can't turn into a loading door.

While it is on the narrow side, I did make sure to test it when I layed the pavement over at the docks. I made sure I could back a 53' trailer in there with no clearance issues on all sides (even put 2 other 53' trailers backed into the docks on either side of the dock i was backing the trailer into), so there is enough space, but you are right, it is tight lol

The chain link fence material you used should be rotated so the links (diamond shapes) should be tall not long.

Im not sure what you mean by this, I just checked on the module, and the fencing is angled so they are not straight squares, they are diamond shaped.... I think some areas might have gotten stretched too far when attaching the fencing to the sub-assembly, and that may be what you noticed lol. I think I am going to re-place all the fencing with new BLMA Etched Brass Chain-Link
http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/176-4210

OR Micron-Art Etched Brass Chain-Link w/Barbed Wire
http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/462-93405

OR Micro-Structures Etched Brass Chain-Link w/Barbed Wire
http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/502-87985

At the time, I was not a dealer so I could justify paying so much for fencing material.... lol

I would have the tracks in cement so the trucks could drive over them to get into the docks.

This is something I thought about doing, and I think i will still do once I get the track layed that is closest to the loading docks. While the trucks do have enough room as mentioned above, I think it would make it look a little better and give the drivers that little extra maneuvering room if a Auto-Rack is not on the track

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh yeah, WalMart has Tulle (sp) in the crafts section that is a silver color. I've used it and will post a photo later when I complete the chain link fence I'm currently building. The nice thing is you don't need to paint it so it's closer to scale.

Dave

So the auto carriers are a part of the distribution kit as well as the loading ramps. Thats a lot of nice extras in the kit.

I got 2 of the LoneStar auto carrier kits.. They had a sale on a few of the old tooled trucks that they sold as kits (without the tractor) for $39. I got 2 of them to check them out and when I got them I went to order more and they where gone no more. The old kits have shorter rear ramps so you can only hold shorter cars but it's a nice looking truck. I'm not going to post any photos till I get it completed. I'm adding the hydraulics now and when I'm done with that I'll post photos. I had to kitbash the tractor but it's looking good.

For the fence comment I was saying the diamond looks like it is stretched to look like the diamond is longer horizontally and should be longer vertically. I've had someone comment to me on a fence I did before (see 3rd photohttp://rbdhd.t35.com/Chainlinkfence1/). You can see how the links look longer and not taller. I've done a new fence since then and it's better looking when the links are vertical.
Dave

The lonestar auto carrier can be bought as a kit now, though you'll have to supply parts.

no it's not a kit now. There was some left over from a old run and they were sold off as a kit. They didn't have the tractor or wheel sets or any details. The kit only had the PE parts but its a great starting point for a rally cool looking truck. I'm going to have to post a photo for you to see it.

Dave

Very nice work Josh!! I'm a FORD fan from birth I guess and have several books written about the history of the auto maker. One is about the River Rouge plant and its got some great photos from vacant land to completion. Keep the photos coming!!!

no it's not a kit now. There was some left over from a old run and they were sold off as a kit. They didn't have the tractor or wheel sets or any details. The kit only had the PE parts but its a great starting point for a rally cool looking truck. I'm going to have to post a photo for you to see it.

Dave
Thanks for posting this, and the other thread, I had not known where the "kit" had come from, nor that it was now sold out...

Josh,
I'm sorry I didn't post anything when I first found the truck for sale but it didn't last from when I found it. I called back the next day to get more and they were gone. I really hope they sell more as kits like the other Lonestar models.

If anyone has some kits and they want to upload them let me know.

Dave

Back