Florescent bulb type

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.

dmiller

I am stringing 2 Bulb florescent lighting down the length of my shelf layout . I purchased GE T12 Daylight High color rendering (very cool bluish white light) 40 W 2,050 Lumens. Is there a better color rendering or perhaps as in the picture, a second row with a different type to mix hues ( perhaps a yellow bulb with the blue bulb as in picture )
I plan to photograph so a natural color is important. I could also string white LEDs . I intend to string Blue LED for moon light running Thanks ! Keep Striving.
blue and yellow bulbs .jpg

Red Oak & Western

I've replaced all my fluorescents with LEDs. I used full spectrum 5k bulbs. It takes a little while to get used to them, but now they appear (to me) to be pure white. For photography, I set the color balance in the camera (Nikon) to 5200. The pictures come out just as I would expect.

twforeman

I installed the four foot LED lights from Costco. They look like fluorescents but are around 4500K and run much cooler.

jdetray

I wouldn't use blue LED's, as they can be damaging to eyes.
This might be a good idea, but it is not the whole story.

First of all, a certain amount of blue light is beneficial and is needed for good health.

We are already exposed to very large amounts of blue light. The Sun is by far the largest contributor. Others include fluorescent tubes and CFLs, computer monitors, smart phones, tablet screens, flat screen LED TVs, and LED lights.

Someone smarter than me could probably calculate how much the use of blue LEDs in the train room would add to the exposure we receive from all these other sources. Perhaps cutting down on screen time or watching less television would make sense and allow us to use blue light for our trains without worry.

- Jeff

Last edited:

GeeTee

LED light emission is in very discrete spectra , Thats why looking into just a plain led with no diffuser can hurt even at milliwatt power levels , its like looking into a laser The light is extremely pure.

Most led white light is produced by converting the light from a blue led into white by the coating on the inside of the led (very similar to florescent / and incandescent bulbs) .

Some leds produce white light by tricolor mix , red ,green , blue.

The problem with led lighting is poor homogeneity . its spectra has gaps in it , the cheaper the led the more and bigger the gaps . So color temperature doesn't mean that much, because its an average.

The best lighting ...incandescent... its has the most homogeneous spectra .

Thats why you can shine a zillion candle power led flashlight on something and still not see anything , particularly colors like orange , red , brown ...
they tend to appear black .

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.