floquil paint markers

I've heard all good things about them. Just remember they're enamel and you'll need some ventilation while using them. Also have a wipe ready to clean the top of the rails

I bought a bunch of them in a closeout at a store about 2 years ago. I got them fairly cheap. they don't last very long for doing a side of a rail. I used up the felt tip real fast all the way down to the metal barrel. I then took them apart & reversed the tip & got some more use out of the pen. Then when that wore down again I took the tip out & used what was left inside the barrel again. For my size of a layout I use a small paint brush & buy a quart of Latex at WM of rust paint. I also put acrylics that I buy at WM on my rails. That's a water mix paint. I put a drop of orange, a drop of yellow & a drop of light brown on a pallet & dab the brush in ea. paint drop & put it on my rails. That makes a true rust color.

For weathering track, nothing beats an airbrush if you don't have a lot of scenery in the way. The Floquil markers are great for touch up work and doing some of the fine detailing in switches. If you've got a small layout, they'll be fine. Test each color first and see which one you like. Rail Brown, for example, appears too green to me.

I bought a bunch of them in a closeout at a store about 2 years ago. I got them fairly cheap. they don't last very long for doing a side of a rail. I used up the felt tip real fast all the way down to the metal barrel. I then took them apart & reversed the tip & got some more use out of the pen. Then when that wore down again I took the tip out & used what was left inside the barrel again. For my size of a layout I use a small paint brush & buy a quart of Latex at WM of rust paint. I also put acrylics that I buy at WM on my rails. That's a water mix paint. I put a drop of orange, a drop of yellow & a drop of light brown on a pallet & dab the brush in ea. paint drop & put it on my rails. That makes a true rust color.

So larry all you do is paint the rails with rust color? Or do you mix the paints togeather to get rust color?

Mike, the markers are for touch up. not only because it will cost you a fortune to use markers but its simply not the best/right tool for the job. for main weathering you will need spray can or airbrush

so can i just get rust spraypaint and use that to weather my track then?

Rail is dirty and grimy, but its not always rusty. Around here the only part the gets rusty, at least what I've seen, is the running surface. The rest is covered in too much crud to tell whether or not its rusty or not.

Mike, look around. on this board there are plenty of people who did excellent weathering for their rails

I've seen some pretty nice looking weathering jobs that were done with el cheapo red oxide spray primer. It seems to be close in color to rails of intermediate age.

Back