Fleischmann HO Scale with Two Independent Loops

clintcar

I'm a relative newcomer to the world of model railroads. I've been in the hobby for about 2 years although the first year and a half was spent just spent planning my layout and doing as much research as I could.

The layout is quite small for HO, 6'3" x 3'6" so I incorporated a split-level double track that runs off separate transformers.

I live in Singapore and the 3 or 4 model shops here carry mostly European brands -- Fleischmann, Trix, Marklin, Hornby -- with not an Atlas or Bachmann in sight!

Here are a couple of pics of what I've done so far in the last 5 or 6 months. There are quite a few bits that need work still -- the camera never lies!

Nice job, especially with the space you have to work with. What are your minimum curve radiuses?

Wow, that's really tight for HO. I know European goods wagons have a much shorter wheelbase than American freight cars but I'm surprised you can get that steam engine around those curves.

Jim, Marklin engineeres thier models to handle the tight radius curves that many European home layouts must use. I have both 12' and 15' radius curves and can run anything from a 0-6-0 class 80 shunting tank to a big class 44 2-10-0 decapod around those curves with no problems. Like the real class 44, the model has a give point in the chassis. The rear two driver axles are hinged to the front and the side rods have a give slot in them, exactly like the real one. Most all of the heavy goods engines on the DB were of the 2-10-0 class in one form or another. Here is a fairly recent pic of my home/portable show layout. Cheers Mike
037.png

039.png

Here's a view of my upper and lower loops on the left of my layout. The lower loop is a 16.5" radius and goes through the tunnel.

Having worked only with Fleischmann equipment I had no idea that these were considered tight curves by US standards. It's something I have to bear in mind if I want to run any other brand of loco. Thanks for the info Jim!

Regards,
Clinton

http://thesunnymodelrailroad.blogspot.com

Back