Fleet Maintenance

Dave S

Tree Farmer
..... or "Break out the paint and stencils boys!"

Since the trainroom is shut down for the winter i have been practicing my very rusty painting and decaling skills.

An old Tyco crane and boom tender set originally in Santa Fe markings.
Reflag%20Feb%202012%20015%20cr.jpg

A newer caboose that I got from Trackside Trains in Shirley Mass. Originally painted boxcar red with Santa Fe markings.
Reflag%20Feb%202012%20013%20cr.jpg

Battery operated lights!:D
Reflag%20Feb%202012%20007%20cr.jpg

A Express freight boxcar. I kept it in it's original Pullman green but replaced the original Santa Fe markings (notice a trend?). I think I overdid it with the weathering but it was one of my first attempts.
Reflag%20Feb%202012%20009%20cr.jpg

This is a cheapo used Bachmann coaling tower that I spruced up (down) a little with a Tichy Group chute and some scale chain.
Reflag%20Feb%202012%20011%20cr.jpg

...and finally in this installment the open coal hopper, originally painted bright orange with Rio Grande markings, that will live below the coaling tower as sort of a ready replenishment for my two steamers. Here at Daves branch of the MEC we we don't stop using stuff that aint broke and we also figure that Maine is far enough away from New Mexico that them fellas won't think to look up here for any misplaced rolling stock they may be seeking. ;)
Reflag%20Feb%202012%20010%20cr.jpg

Ah I just looked at your albums, I can see where that would be an issue! Here in Ohio this hasnt been a bad winter, mild really. How is it in Mass? And could you put some space heaters up there or would it be to much of a risk/hassle?

Ah I just looked at your albums, I can see where that would be an issue! Here in Ohio this hasnt been a bad winter, mild really. How is it in Mass? And could you put some space heaters up there or would it be to much of a risk/hassle?

Yeah I suppose I could do that but i'm kind of concerned with condensation from the big swings in temperature not to mention the increased cost of trying to heat an uninsulated space. Besides I just plunked down a big wad of cash for a new well pump so I i'm kind of short on funds for new projects right now. Maybe with the income tax return check.

It's ok though I have enough to keep me busy until spring reflagging my rolling stock and engines.

Yeah I dont blame ya, it would spike up your energy bill. From the looks of it though you are doin a good job on what ya can! Hopefully you can send a train down the line soon.

I'd have never known that was a Bachman coaling tower, very nice!
The rest lookk great too by the way!

thats what i love about this hobby a little elbow grease & talent & a bachmann car can look like a 35 dollar top of the line car . awesome!!!

Back