First video of The Pennsylvania Line

Movie editor

Grampys you uploaded them in what format? It makes a big differents. For those of you who are making videos if you upgraded window’s XP with their service packs a movie editor would have been installed along with the upgrades. It’s great for editing your movies, adding clips and stills etc. It takes some time to learn how to do all this though but it’s free. I’m starting to use it more and more. With the editor you could have combined the three videos into one Grampys. Nice work as usual.

NYC_George

Hi George: Unfortunately, my camera records in Quicktime. After trying for a couple of hours, Windows Moviemaker finally informed me that it doesn't recognize Quicktime. My son in law is going to let me borrow his video cam and I'll give it another go.

Working around the problem.

Grampys the first video I uploaded I used Quicktime and saved it using Apple’s *.mp4 format which I thought would be great. I not sure why but the format didn’t transfer well on youtube. All my other videos were uploaded using the window’s *.wmv format which seems to transfer better for some reason. If your camera saves the video in the *.avi format, most do, then just open the window’s movie editor, if you have it and import the video into the movie editor. Drag the file down into the video storyboard and after your done editing it save it as a window’s *.wmv file.

NYC_George

I believe there are some converters available as well to convert from Quicktime to avi or wmv. Some are pretty good and free. I will do a little looking around and see what I can find.

Hi George: Unfortunately, my camera records in Quicktime. After trying for a couple of hours, Windows Moviemaker finally informed me that it doesn't recognize Quicktime. My son in law is going to let me borrow his video cam and I'll give it another go.

Give this one a try, from Download.com which is usually pretty reliable for stuff, and most users give it a high rating. I don't put much credibility in a couple of bad reviews among glowing reviews because some folks just can't be satisfied.

http://www.download.com/Pazera-Free-MOV-to-AVI-Converter/3000-2194_4-10798308.html?tag=mncol

Hopefully this will work out for you.

Here is another highly rated one, with excellent recommendations as well:

http://www.download.com/Koyote-Free-Video-Converter/3000-2194_4-10805335.html?tag=mncol

BTW Grampy, I am so jealous of your photos and hope to see more of your layout in video soon. your work is awesome, and I hope i can only achieve 10 - 20 % of that quality myself!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi: Thanks. And thanks for the tips. I'm really at the bottom of the learning curve with regard to video. But it is very interesting, another new skill to learn.

If you have your computer set up to show file extension you should be able to see the last three letters of the file when the video was transferred from the camera to the computer. In example Grampys_videos.avi If it is *.avi it will import right into to the windows movie editor that is import not open. If it doesn’t then it most likely has one of the Apple MPEG extensions. Then you would have to use one of the downloads like they are talking about.

George

Back