first timer wanabee modelrailroader newbie

Phillip, you're doing a great job on the layout and the backdrop. don't let other self-appointed experts discourage you. We are all better at somethings than others but yur total package looks fine to me. Folks here, while some are really experts, tend to ride their high horses a lot less than most forums. :)

I'll second that!
I've just been bitten by the On30 bug and I'm going for that exact look.

rico
whats on30?
Im sticking to backdrop and senery like trees and so to keep my options open regarding scale.At this point I have no locos or rolingstock, I use code 100 ho track and have ho chassies at the ready. Could someone break down all this on3 ho30 stuff, I know about O S & HO N scales

heres a pic of the trainroom from outside.

The rockwork was done using a very simple and cheap method. once its covered with greenery all the litlle holes can be covered up.

Phillip did you say you used spray cans after brushing on the light blue to do the sky?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, earosol spray cans. Two acrylic colours blended in with light misting of white and then blue earosol spray at the top.I also gave a whash of turquise acrylic in the middle but its almost unoticeable. In hind site I might have used more deep blue in the middle but one can always remedy this later. The spray cans worked well on the mountain area too, aplied more extensively here it gave an almost pixelated quality to it, like visual noise in a bad picture. this enforced the distance, you dont want crisp clean lines in the distant mountain you want suttle and distorted but still with lots of colours toned down in blues by the distance.

Holy, i wanna be like the wannabe! Awesome work. This is the board your meant to be! Welcome!

Using your standard hornby type of track guage what could I model scalewise onto that? HO S & O

HO and OO will work for ya. I also use HO and OO as my dad is building his british theme. Love Hornby~!

Ja I was thinking one could use the two together 1:87 -1:76 combined, has anyone treid this? A sort of forced perspective. scratchbuilt logging in OO would look better on code 100 ho track and the little extra scale size leaves room for extra detial

Jim, good link!
Phil you're "wanabee" work is better than this "amabee"'s work!

Phillip, the difference between OO and HO is so small that it's not even noticed unless you put something identical for the two scales next to each other. I would think HO code 100 track would still look way too big for an OO logging line. Code 83 would be better and code 70 better yet. I've never seen and HO/OO scale layout but I know that there are lots of folks in the UK who model OO and use HO scale equipment mixed with OO because the difference in size is so small.

So I thought Id update my progress on the layout, only everytime I try upload something it tels me i need to log in AGAIN?!#@

How are you trying to upload pictures? I find the easiest way is to have a hosting account like Photobucket and then just copy and paste the

update on my pike,next I need some ferns for ground cover.HO/OO scale to cover a large area.Can anyone give sugestions or picture examples will be most welcome.

Back