First serious attempt

Hi folks. I modelled a 4 x 8 toy set about 15 years ago. It wasn't too bad, kind of amateurish but I had some success with parts of the scenery. Now I'm trying a much larger layout in a room that I built in my basement. I'll try to post pictures of my progress, starting from the room being built.
I know that most people plan their layouts meticulously, but I've been winging it since the get go. Of course things don't always turn out the way I want, but I guess that's modeling.
So be kind.

The grandson helping with the insulation

IMG_1095.JPG
bs 562.JPG
11-28-18 004.JPG
IMG_1465.JPG

More later today

There isn't anything wrong with "winging it". That's how I roll. I did measure and make a rough drawing of the benchwork; and I then made a rough sketch of the track and routes. From there it was mostly freehand. I had made some full sized poster-board templates of 24", 26", 28", 30" and 32" radius curves (mostly used 30" & 32") to make sure that I laid them out the way I wanted, and used a four foot straightedge to assist in tangent track. Added switches along the way for industries that I either reused from an older layout, or knew in advance what their footprint was. Much of this has been documented in posts over in the Coffee Shop. I do have all of the main lines on two levels completed, 70+ industries in place (I like switching), and about 30% of the scenery completed.
I read in your intro thread that you have 11' x 17' to work with. Nice size room. I am looking forward to watching your progress.

George Selios built the Franklin and South Manchester railroad.

On a DVD I have he made the statement that no real planning went into it. He might occasionally make a rough sketch, but other than that he just "did" it. So 'winging it' puts you into some good company!

George Selios built the Franklin and South Manchester railroad.

On a DVD I have he made the statement that no real planning went into it. He might occasionally make a rough sketch, but other than that he just "did" it. So 'winging it' puts you into some good company!
I play just a little guitar. Every now and then I see a video of Stevie Ray Vaughan or Hendrix etc. and I feel like I need to put the guitar away for a bit because my talent is so minuscule compared to those guys. And now you share a video of a master that kind of makes me feel that way again.
Just kidding, that was amazing. I love the way that no color jumps out at you throughout the entire layout. What an inspiration. Thanks again.

I also use golden rod for trees, I like to snip off the curly ques on the ends and instead of using hairspray or glue to attach the foam, I spray the "trees' with green, primer red, tan or a golden yellow spray paint from a can then dust it with ground foam. Many ways to skin a cat. An in progress photo so there is stray foam on the track.

IMG_2095.JPG

Thanks everyone. That's about the extent of my progress. Any other photos are just repetitive. I'm a very slow modeler and my work on the layout in the summer is almost nil. I just can't spend too much time in the basement on a beautiful day. In a way I'm lucky that I don't feel that my layout must be completed in a timely manner. I don't want to be a slave to the hobby, not that there's anything wrong with that. My goal is not to complete this layout. I don't know what I'd do on a snowy January afternoon if I finished.

I've found an artistic side to myself that I never knew existed. How cool is that?
Of course I love the compliments. We all do. But isn't it awesome to have a young person gaze upon your creation with a look of amazement? Or have a cynical old buddy give you crap for playing with toys only to freak out when he gazes upon your toy, your very expensive toy.

I will post my progress on this thread from time to time if you're interested.
Thank you all for looking at my work and for all of your kind and friendly comments. I am interested in your comments, even the not so complimentary ones, not that there have been any. Feel free to critique my layout and offer suggestions. I'm already thinking of a major change to my layout due to a reply by one of the members. How can that be a bad thing?

Back