First DCC System

rpm750

Sorry for a possible re-post but I've done some searching and read a few things but I'll ask anyways.

I'm getting back into this hobby, had a few shots at layouts as a kid and young adult. I really like the idea of the DCC setups but I have a few questions.

~ I see that they have a rating but I need some further info on what a HO scale Loco pulls as far as Amps are concerned. On my layout I could possibly have three or four Locos running at the same time. I'm sure the rating of the system will be limited to the size power supply that comes with the system. To grow the system can the power supply rating simply be increased? Not really interested or have to have a wireless system, my layout area is small to begin with. 9'x11' room.

~ I've watched a lot of YouTube vids of layouts being built and the NCE or MRC systems look like the front runners.

~ I have no DCC equipped Locos at this time. I do however have a few older DC Locos that might be candidates for a retrofit to DCC. Detailed, Weathered with coupler upgrades. Athearn brand.

Planning on stopping by a Shop on Tuesday, (the place is closed on Mondays) and will be a bit of a drive to boot.

Your opinions and comments are welcome love to hear what your system consists of, how you use it and how you got to where you are now.

Last edited by a moderator:
DCC is a bit like discussing religion :D

That said, I am very happy with my choice of the NCE PowerCab as my first DCC system. It's very easy to understand and use, and if/when I choose to upgrade to a more advanced NCE system, I can use it just like an add-on throttle to the bigger system, so almost nothing is a loss when upgrading.

The MRC system looks quite nice too, but I have never used one.

I'm a Digitrax guy, but have had some training and use on an NCE Powercab, and of the two choices, I'd choose the NCE over anything MRC anytime.

As long as each DCC chipped locomotive is in good operating shape, then I would figure the current draw of each locomotive to be 0.5 amps. Some older models may pull closer to 0.75 amps.

A few months ago, I talked to Frank who is a tech at MRC and here is what he said about the upgrade path for the Prodigy Express.

1) All the newer Prodigy Express systems come with the Advanced A2 software. MRC has instructions to check to see if you have the latest software. The only thing is that you will need an Advance Squared handheld to check the software version number of an Express. If you don't have the latest V3 software, you can send your Express system to MRC to upgrade the software. This is done for a small fee so be sure to contact MRC before sending in your Express system.

2) The Prodigy Express system power can be upgraded from 1.6 amps to 2.5 amps by purchasing the Advanced Squared power supply which is part #1504.

3) You get all the additional features of the Advanced Squared (including controlling DCC turnouts) by purchasing the Advance Squared Handheld. You can still use the Prodigy Express Handheld as an extra throttle by purchasing either the #1501 extension plate or the #AD493 Y Harness.

I like the idea that the MRC Prodigy Express can be upgraded to all the features of the MRC Prodigy Advanced Squared.

Best regards,
Brian

NCE hands down. They are easy to use, very newbie user friendly, and work reliably.

I have an NCE Powerhouse Pro wireless, and I love it.

NCE Powercab at home, and Powerhouse Pro wireless at the club. I started with Digitrax, but found NCE easier to use, especially if you are technologically challenged ;)

Well, as ToyGuy has said, it is truely like discussing a religion :confused:.

For starter/small/medium layouts, I have owned two Digitrax Zephyrs and found them to be very user unfriendly. I switched to an NCE Power Cab and have not looked back!

I have used the larger Digitrax systems and I was very impressed with them, but when I weighed up three factors: my budget, easy of use and quantity of locos I would be running at any given time, the NCE Power Cab was the only choice for me.

My two cents, of course.

Good luck with the decision and perhaps try to have a go at using them prior to buying?

I know I'm different, but the problem with the Zephyr (I have one) is that it should have come with a throttle, like a DT400. I'm not a fan of the power-pack fixed station design.

Having a DT400 or the later versions makes programming and running the system easier. However, at that point, an NCE system would have been better for cheaper.

If you want to have things like signals, block detection, etc. and keep everything the same from the same manufacturer, then Digitrax, in my opinion shines. If you want a good starter set that will give you a good hand-held throttle, be powerful enough to program sound locomotives (like the Tsunami), then the NCE Powercab is the choice I'd make.

I have recently converted from DC to the "ministry of NCE Power cab" and have been very happy with my decision. Easy to program with little need to check the instructions and a handheld throttle plus upgradeability without replacement of the starter set.
-Art

Actually, the two most popular systems are Digitrax and NCE. My choice is Digitrax, but NCE would be a close second. Find one of their systems that match your budget and layout needs; you will have a winner.
(How's that for walking the fence, Allan? LOL:D ) Sorry RPM, private joke with Espreefan.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, the two most popular systems are Digitrax and NCE. My choice is Digitrax, but NCE would be a close second. Find one of their systems that match your budget and layout needs; you will have a winner.
(How's that for walking the fence, Allan? LOL:D ) Sorry RPM, private joke with Espreefan.

:D You can walk it Rex, but we know which side of it you're on! :D Still good advice. These tools are all a matter of personal choice. We choose what we're comfortable with. Truth be told, my ideal system would be a Digitrax-NCE Hybrid. There are things I like, and dislike, about both.

Thanks guys for your input. Planning on hitting up the Train shop tomorrow after work. Last week was really hectic and I just never got to it. Cost is a factor and useability. My layout is not that big, takes up a 9x11 room and it will be HO. I'll share my layout stuff in the correct thread.

Thanks again.

Back