First Craftsman kit.....

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.

ianacole

As a Millitary Modeler also both are good but I like Microscale Krystal Klear. I just used it to put these lights in this F7 I like for windows also. Here a B-25 Mitchell I made windows for using Krystal Klear and used it to install the windshield on this GMC cckw Dump Truck that I built View attachment 117476View attachment 117477View attachment 117478View attachment 117479
Very nice! Can you describe the process to create them? Was is just using a toothpick and filling in the hole, or was it more involved?

Also, @Patrick, do you mind the discussion in your thread, or would you prefer if we moved to a separate one?

Patrick

GNRR Mechanic always fixing stuff
Sorry for the delay in the response. I don't mind the discussion in the thread.

Ok, It's taking me some time. Hopefully now that the grass SHOULD be going dormant with the snow we're getting today, the yard work should just about stop. Here is some new progress on my building:

20201025_163231.jpg
20201025_163253.jpg
20201025_163317.jpg

I don't know why the windows in the last picture look crooked. They may be. The roof isn't attached yet and I have the balcony and stairs to put on yet along with all the other detail stuff. I'm not sure I'm happy with the way this is turning out, but some of it is me trying to decide on colors and stuff that should have been painted before assembly.

Espeefan

The camera amplifies every little sin you commit. I've caught several errors on my current build as I document it over on the SWSM forum. Photo angles and lighting can also spoof you by making things look crooked when they aren't. In some cases you need to decide of a correction is worth the effort. Pics like these are not what it's going to look like on the layout. This is a very good first effort. If I could offer a suggestion, it would be something I still have to be mindful of: watch those gaps! 1-2-3 blocks and corner bracing are your friends. So is test fitting before gluing. Nice work!

Patrick

The camera amplifies every little sin you commit. I've caught several errors on my current build as I document it over on the SWSM forum. Photo angles and lighting can also spoof you by making things look crooked when they aren't. In some cases you need to decide of a correction is worth the effort. Pics like these are not what it's going to look like on the layout. This is a very good first effort. If I could offer a suggestion, it would be something I still have to be mindful of: watch those gaps! 1-2-3 blocks and corner bracing are your friends. So is test fitting before gluing. Nice work!
Thank you for the suggestions and kind words. If I were to do it over, I'd do it different as it isn't like the plastic models I've done in the past. or even the firehouse I've already completed. Last Craftsman type stuff I did was when I was in HS over 40 years ago and was building out of balsa and using 3"X5" index cards for siding (use the lines to cut along and then use the strip as siding) on my Lionel stuff.

Patrick

Ok,

I had some more time over the weekend to work a little more on the model. Posting here as not everyone goes to the coffee shop:

20201115_161822.jpg
20201115_161824.jpg

Stairs attached and east coast guttering attached to the roof. Still waiting for some glue to dry when these were taken. Started cutting the railings for the stairs, but stopped when I broke the stairs off before the glue was set and had to reattach. Teach me to hurry!!!

Patrick

More progress:

20201121_150659.jpg
20201121_150710.jpg
20201121_150718.jpg
20201122_163130.jpg

Bottom attached and railings completed. Those were a pain. Roof not glued on yet as I still have a couple of details to add before the roof is glued on. I'm going to make this a little different than the original as where I'm thinking to use it doesn't warrant some of the details. Hopefully more time over the holiday to get more completed. In the last picture you can see the downspout gutter of the roof. The final bend on that is waiting for the roof to be attached. One thing I've learned to this point is choose the colors and paint before assembly. this structure was half built before I decided on the colors. More picts to come.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.