Finally, Santafewillies layout thread

The detail is just amazing! The guys carrying lumber for rebuilding that building is a brilliant little detail!
Hey Gary, apologies for being so late with the thanks for the comment, but thanks. I do try to make scenes that reflect life as I see it. Figures are to me, one of the best ways to make a layout come to life, especially when they denote some action. Not all mine do, but I try to get some action into most viewing angles.

OK, it's been too long since an update. Thanksgiving got in the way and some early preparation for Christmas added to the burden. But I have not forgotten those who have followed along.
On the west end of the street containing the townhouses is the Rivoli Theater, a Walther's structure. The backstory here is that it has been closed for remodeling and is about to reopen. I posted a couple of pictures last month when Louis asked what was playing, they're on a different page so I will repost them here.
IMG_7182.JPG
IMG_7183.JPG
02-22-20 005.JPG
02-22-20 006.JPG

At the other end of the townhouse row is Rudy's BBQ. This is a DPM structure sold as Carol's Corner Cafe.
IMG_7261.JPG
07-16-18 013.JPG

Tables in the outdoor seating area are simple scratchbuilt ones made from styrene strips.
07-16-18 015.JPG

Real wood-smoked BBQ.
07-17-18 009.JPG

Hopefully it won't be quite as long before I make another update. Thanks for looking and I hope that all enjoy this layout tour. Maybe you noticed that there are actually trains in the first picture behind the theater.

Willie
It's refreshing to see a layout with infrastructure; highways, parking lots, sidewalks with pedestrians,
alleyways and all those little things that bring a model rr to life.

Many, many years ago a respected modeler explained to me that a "great model RR layout" is one
where the scenes will entertain you WITHOUT any moving trains supplying a distraction. As testimony
to that standard you have not displayed one video of a moving train. And yet I'm sure that hundreds of
hours have been spent examining your photos (most without any train traffic).

I applaud you on an excellent job of presenting real life standards in miniature. You are proof that you can have
entertaining scenes and operational train traffic.

Willie
It's refreshing to see a layout with infrastructure; highways, parking lots, sidewalks with pedestrians,
alleyways and all those little things that bring a model rr to life.

Many, many years ago a respected modeler explained to me that a "great model RR layout" is one
where the scenes will entertain you WITHOUT any moving trains supplying a distraction. As testimony
to that standard you have not displayed one video of a moving train. And yet I'm sure that hundreds of
hours have been spent examining your photos (most without any train traffic).

I applaud you on an excellent job of presenting real life standards in miniature. You are proof that you can have
entertaining scenes and operational train traffic.
MOWboss - Thank you very much for your comment. I don't remember who said it, maybe it was me, but to me the layout is a stage, the trains are just actors passing through. I actually enjoy switching as much as building scenes, but it seems that I just haven't gotten to too many areas where there is industry yet in this thread!
I like the expression of "scenes will entertain you WITHOUT any moving trains supplying a distraction". That is my intent with some that I recently featured, such as the fellows unloading the lumber in post #98 or the scene with the BBQ trailer in post #86. I will use that expression in the future!:)

Well, Merry Christmas there Internet elves and those who celebrate any holiday that sounds fun!

It's Troy again.

Here's one of my main characters, Punkin, the snarky talking cat, trying to be good until someone gives him a present.

View attachment 178577

Health update: Still sleeping in the recliner. Whatever the virus going around, it's mostly a cold for me, but in a weird order of symptoms, I normally get runny nose, then sore throat, then chest congestion. On Day 4 I finally got the runny nose. Between trying to hack up both lungs to clear the chest yesterday, I ran through half a box of tissues.

Yesterday I felt run-down and slept a lot. About 8pm, I finally started to get some energy, and could slow down on the mucus pills.

Wife had it a month ago, but we're still limiting time together to just meals.

Heard from the daughter down in Indy that she's got the virus too. She's trying to keep her live-in boyfriend from getting it. This coming Saturday is wife's family get-together, and this would be the big debut of the boyfriend to the cousins and such. We'll see if that happens.

No gifts exchanged here. We agreed to stop doing the gift thing a few years ago. Daughter gets cash, and we pay her car insurance since she's still driving the hand-me-down Honda we gave her 10 years ago. She's thirty, so she's not too bad off on the gift thing.

I did get the wife a party-sized bag of M&Ms though. I know better than to not get a little something for her. With luck, she'll reciprocate with filled stocking later ;)

For those of you worried about your churches combusting or falling in... Don't worry about it. I'm slightly pagan, mostly heathen, very unreligious (and a card-carrying Dudeist priest, as well as an ordained Pastafarian). I spent 20 years as a wedding photographer and attended wedding services in churches at least 200 times. No churches were harmed in all of my excursions. However, there was one priest that I expected to grow horns and breathe fire. But, that's a story for another day.

Was this intended for the Coffee Shop??

After a prolonged absence due to all of the holiday merriment, I have returned with the next installment. BTW, Happy New Year everyone.
We're now to Main Street in Maultown. I've posted a couple of pictures previously that showed part of the alley between Oak Street and Main Street.
IMG_1154.JPG

On the very corner of the upper level is several businesses.
IMG_7123.JPG
IMG_1148.JPG

On the left is a tobacco shop that was originally from the IHC "Homes of Yesterday and Today" series. I believe that the original kit was called Smoke Shop. I have made a couple of modifications. The structure on the right is Walther's Merchant's Row V.
IMG_6693.JPG

I switched the side walls so the entry door for the upper floors is now on the right.
View of the rear with an employee showing up late for work.
IMG_7284.JPG

The upper two floors are rented by a couple of "working" ladies.
IMG_1157.JPG
IMG_1159.JPG

IMG_7029.JPG

They both look busy this morning.
We'll visit Merchant's Row V in the next installment.
Please enjoy the tour and thanks for looking.

Time for the tour through Downtown Maultown to continue. In the previous post, we looked at the Cigar Shop. Immediately north or to the right is a Walther's Merchant's Row V consisting of three businesses. Actually four since the center part has an additional business owned by the same owner in the upstairs.
IMG_6691.001.JPG

Cleveland Appliances is on the left, and as the name implies, they sell appliances.
IMG_7043.JPG

In the center is Central Radio & TV, with their companion business Central Record Shop upstairs
IMG_6689.JPG

IMG_1130.JPG

Anchoring the corner is the Jackson Park Pharmacy.
IMG_6742.JPG

IMG_1128.JPG

IMG_1127.JPG

Most of the figures as usual, were painted by me with the exception of the fellow pushing his Grandma in the wheelchair.
On our next visit, we'll move across First Avenue to another Walther's structure, this one Merchant's Row II.
IMG_2127.JPG

That's it for now, thanks for visiting.

Willie, what is the "Western Auto Associate Store"? I can't wait for the next instalment!

I'm familiar with Western Auto. I got a couple of bicycles from them as a boy. I will never forget the sight of the man who raised me, John Timmerman (Jack) riding up on a bicycle from Western Auto for my birthday. The store was about a half a mile away and he was 70 years old. I loved that bike almost as much as I loved him!

Back