Favorite modern HO freight trucks and why

kenw

5th Generation Texian
E&B Products, National Timken RB, black metal wheels, sprung plastic sideframes. see them here (scroll down):
http://www.greenwayproducts.com/a_brass_not_trucks.shtml

Just ordered some more of these, 10+ years ago I determined these to be my favorites for several reasons and coverted the entire fleet.... and brothers that cost some serious $$....

But they were priced better than anything else at the time, fully sprung, metal and rolled like BBs on glass.

I also liked the equivalent from Old Pullman which I could get locally but don't see them in their (OP) catalog anymore.

I like those also since they are based on the old Lindberg line, which I still think are the best trucks ever made. Those prices are really not bad considering how much just wheel sets cost and they really are free rolling and forgiving of less than perfect track.

I myself prefer Genesis trucks. However due to the price, I use them where trucks will be openly visible, tank cars, spine cars, ect.

Besides that, I use Accurail and Athearn trucks with Branchline Code 88 wheels.

I like those also since they are based on the old Lindberg line, which I still think are the best trucks ever made. Those prices are really not bad considering how much just wheel sets cost and they really are free rolling and forgiving of less than perfect track.

I got my 1st set at a local train show, the seller literally gushed over them and talked about the Lindberg heritage as if they were an object of worship. Personally I had no experiences with them, but decided a few sets would make a decent trial. The guy at the show was actually a custom builder and sold the trucks to me at his cost. All the bag (pair) had on it was a stamped a name and phone number.

I called and talked to the owner (Dan Kilgore) in Florida iirc for quite some time, but mostly to get an address to send him a check for some more! He sent me a price list that was many, many pages long; he had an unbelieveable number of varieties. The 1st I bought were plastic wheels with brass axles, eventually I changed to metal wheels when he started selling them.

Mr Kilgore was the original buyer of the dies from Lindberg and was assembling and selling them himself. After awhile, I found out that he had become quite ill and sold the business to E&B and he (or his helper) gave me a phone # for them.

So I called them...and talked to one of them awhile to get yet another order. He informed me later that Mr Kilgore had passed on.

fast forward to 2008, I find myself needing a few more sets...I couldn't remember E&B but I did remember Lindberg so I googled it instead....E&B did't show up in any web searches except for Greenway. So now I buy some more....

Last edited by a moderator:

Back