Favorite mdoel train brand?

First off, I apologize if this is not the proper place to post a question like this, but I am curious and as I'd like to get to know everybody here, I figured I would ask, so...What is everybody's favorite model train brand and why? It can be any gauge or scale size and any brand - Even if the brand is not a prestigious brand.

My current favorite brand is Power Trains (Or Power City Trains) mainly because they run on batteries and can be used even during a power outage!

Well for just a BRAND name favorite it is hard for me to choose between with Ive's, Lionel, and American Flyer. They are all part of Americana now. Probably have to stick with Lionel since it is synonymous (at least to the general public) with model trains.

But what I think you are really asking is do I have a favorite brand of model trains that I buy and run. I think I would have to go with Atlas on that one. Atlas track carried the hobby on its back for more than 30 years. The Atlas Roco track might have been the first code-83 in the USA (anyone know for certain?). They are the ones that really got N-scale going in the USA. Atlas is the one that raised the bar (1984 HO Scale RS-3) using can motors and precision gears in locomotives. Today they make great looking, and great working, and reliable equipment. They have the down grade TrainMan line. They are active in all three major scales. They paint their models in more than just the big major road names. What is not to like (other than their recent FOPA switching manufactures for their track and creating a shortage)?

I have been a Lionel guy since forever, in fact I only own one other engine and it's a K-Line that I think was owned by Lionel at the time it rolled out.

With that being said I am absolutely in love with some of the stuff MTH is producing and it's taken a lot of self restrained to not click the "buy now" feature just yet but it's coming. The ES44AC Imperial G.E. is a show stopper, I love the Alaska Galloping Goose and the Canadian Pacific SD90 are officially on my wish list.

I've also never owned a Williams in my life but it should be here on Mon. For $70.00 the Trainworld special sucked me in. 44 Tonner Switcher, if it sucks I'll just get rid of it.

End of the day, Lionel all the way...but again MTH is making some smokin' hot items I can't ignore!

I have no one favorite, except for Akane brass steamers. Problem is they haven't been made sine the 1960's! Others include PFM, Hobbytown, Atlas, Athearn, Westerfield, F&C, Taurus, Spectrum, Silver Streak, and other craftsman kits.

I'm primarily a steam nut, and as such, most of my engines are brass, and about 99% of my cars are kit builts. Some guys consider that I'm an extreme modeler because I even handlay my track and switches.

Trying to settle on just one brand of trains is almost impossible as very few manufacturers make everything you'll need to build a layout with.

Well I'd have to go with Atlas, just because they make so many things in so many scales and it's pretty much all quality stuff.

I like Atlas, but remember if it weren't for Kato manufacturing their locomotives for them in HO and N, we wouldn't be where we are today. Based on that, maybe Kato, as they've built much good stuff for most everybody in HO and N over the years.
I used to hate MTH when they first ventured into HO scale, but they are making improvements in their stuff, and if they keep it up, they may win me over. IF they stop trying to control every aspect of their products. They are also making improvements there as well, but it looks like baby steps.

For locos in N scale it's Atlas or Kato for me. For rolling stock, there are many great manufacturers such as Atlas, Athearn, Microtrains, Intermountain, Bluford Shops to name a few. Hard to go wrong with any of them.

I do have a couple of Atlas diesels from the Kato era, and they're pretty good. 1 P2k, FA2, as at the time there wasn't an FA1 on the market. The rest of them are different bodies on Hobbytown chassis. I have about 22 brass engines, 3 Spectrums, 2 Bowsers. Cars (349 so far) vary from Athearn to Westerfield, with a few RTR in that bunch. I still have several, (40?) kits to build. Most of the brass has newer or more details applied, as well as new gearboxes and motors.

I get my rail from the Proto:87 store, and the spikes are Walthers, code 70/83 (These are actually Shinohara spikes.) and I cut my own ties on a table saw.

This just shows that there is other ways to acquire your equipment and materials for a layout, without sticking to one brand. This also shows a different way to build your empire without having to use just RTR, (Ready to Run) equipment. You can buy everything and take it out of the box and place on the rails, or you can build most of your stuff yourself, its all in what you feel is best for you!

This also shows that THERE IS NO ONE CORRECT WAY TO BE A MODEL RAILROADER! As long as you do what satisfies you, is most fun for you, you're doing it correctly!

Last edited by a moderator:
I like Atlas, but remember if it weren't for Kato manufacturing their locomotives for them in HO and N,
The way you say that you make it sound like Kato was benevolent. Atlas went to Kato and contracted them to manufacture things for them. Kato didn't make stuff and go to Atlas and say "will you resell this under your brand". Huge difference.

I suppose your choice of favorite brands depends strongly on when you grew up and what scale or scales you were or are in. Kato and Atlas didn't even exist in my early years and for that matter, Ho was a newcomer. I still think my favorite would be Athearn as they built in both O and Ho scale and made many wonderful kits in both. I started with Lionel but very early decided that "scale" was my interest. There were so many wonderful manufacturers that are now gone and mostly forgotten. The hobby has changed greatly through the years and so has what has been offered to the public. The manufacturers make what sells and what they are capable of producing. Materials and technology have changed dramatically in the last 50 years and so the industry did too. Interest in steam has dropped off dramatically and diesels now predominate the market. Change is one of the few constants.

Steve

Wow! Out of all the responses I've seen thus far, I have learned at least 5 different things...1: There are WAY more model railroad companies than I thought. 2: I have not heard of a lot of these companies. 3: At least one person who posted here used acronyms I am not familiar with (FA1, FA2, and 1 P2K to name a few). 4: Some people speak of numbered codes (Most notably code 70) which I am also not yet familiar with. 5: I also have a lot to learn about trains as there are at least 3 different lines I have never heard of before, like the ES44AC Imperial G.E., the Alaska Galloping Goose and the Canadian Pacific SD90. all in all, it's amazing what one can learn after being on a forum like this for only a day...Keep up the responses, folks!

The way you say that you make it sound like Kato was benevolent. Atlas went to Kato and contracted them to manufacture things for them. Kato didn't make stuff and go to Atlas and say "will you resell this under your brand". Huge difference.

Sorry, I guess I should have better said, "If it weren't for Atlas and ConCor begging Kato to take their money and make trains for them to sell, Atlas and ConCor stuff would still run like garbage". And here I thought I was being tactful. Kato DID make stuff for those companies without making a lot of money on it so they could build their reputation. In case anybody wonders why a lot of older Atlas and ConCor stuff has "KATO" stamped on the bottom somewhere.

On that note, didn't Kato do some drives for Stewart and a few others too? Got me thinking now...

This thread reminds me of a very old question that was asked years back; If you could have only one Mfg'r which would it be?
Best answer would be pick one that "does it all".

G'day all....I have two favourites.....for different reasons..All I do is HO....For value for money detail and sound...Athearn Genesis...I have several of their locos now and no issues with any of them....The second might surprise some...Bachmann...I must have close to 20 of both ordinary and Spectrum series and although not as prototypical perhaps as the more expensive brands , this company is the main reason I discovered that this hobby WAS affordable....so I have a desire to see Bachmann stay viable at least as a great entry level manufacturer if nothing else..Atlas , Intermountain and BLI...are also good...and Kato of course... So my vote would be split between Athearn Genesis and Bachmann.. Cheers Rod...

Out of all the responses I've seen thus far, I have learned ... At least one person who posted here used acronyms I am not familiar with (FA1, FA2, and 1 P2K to name a few).
Yeah, we sling around a lot of abbreviations and jargon. FA is a locomotive type built by the American Locomotive Company (Alco). F was for freight, A was for a cab unit. The number that follows is just a model number. There are also cabless units called FBs. P2K is short for Proto-2000 which is a model railroad brand. It was originally Life-Like's top of the line sub-brand, but Life-Like was purchased by the Walther's company so through the last several years it has morphed into WalthersProto. At least that is the brand name of the last loco I purchased from them.

4: Some people speak of numbered codes (Most notably code 70) which I am also not yet familiar with.
That one is easy. The "code" of the rail is simply its height. It is independent of the model railroad scale. Code 100 was the standard in HO for decades. Code 83 is more common now. Code 75, 70, and 55 are more rare but still used in HO. In N-scale code 83 used to be the standard but now I believe code 55 dominates and code 40 is used. https://sp1.yimg.com/ib/th?id=HN.608010079012389569&pid=15.1&w=173&h=126&p=0

I'm primarily a steam nut, and as such, most of my engines are brass,
Oh! I didn't even think of the brass brands. For that one I would have have gone with W&R, too bad they just went out of business. I can say my least favorite brass brand is Division Point. I purchased their Royal Gorge Passenger train. For $650 per car one would have expected them to be perfect in every way. I can't even run them because of all the short circuits their fully sprung brass trucks create. sigh! The Broadway Limited California Zephyr cars are much better in every way.

Athearn is my favorite. Walthers would be second for me. Both of those brands are carried by my LHS so they were the first ones i was introduced towhen i got into the hobby. I do like Atlas as well though.

Back