Favorite DCC system and why do you like it?

3. The Atlas Commander seems to have been a one shot deal - no real expansion and nothing further done with it.

I have the Lenz compact (same as the commander) it is expandable with lenz gear, I use mine with my Lenz set100 and yes it's very basic but it's ok for yard work etc.

Ken.

Bob, you may become a geek, but I'm already one. ;)

May become one? Just what makes you think I don't already qualify?

Let's see... Some folks have trouble remembering what websites are in their favorite list, I have so many domains I have trouble recalling what websites I own.

The first computer I programmed on didn't have a keyboard, a mouse or a screen. There was possibly a mouse in the computer room, but if so he was real and had nothing to do with the CPU. Any of the youngsters around here care to venture guess how input and output was handled?

I suppose you'll want to see a photo of my slide rule before you'll acknowledge my true geek status? Not that I can recall how to do much on it any more...

um slide rule ...my dad has one and still uses it...gofigure! he is old school from Maritime Academy....

my first computer was the Commodore 64...lol

Any of the youngsters around here care to venture guess how input and output was handled?
Yep! hand coding directly in the registers and writing to the memory. Hexadecimal, wasn't it Bob? Been a real long time, as I recall the processor was hand wired on a mother board (LSI's were the ones we had) :D

Cheers Willis

PS: forgot the paper tapes and readers

Last edited by a moderator:
The first computer I programmed on didn't have a keyboard, a mouse or a screen. There was possibly a mouse in the computer room, but if so he was real and had nothing to do with the CPU. Any of the youngsters around here care to venture guess how input and output was handled?
Punch card!?

I have a friend here in San Diego, who worked temp work at a local health provider, who still uses punch card machines, and a few "newer" black screen, green text machines...

Punch card!?

I have a friend here in San Diego, who worked temp work at a local health provider, who still uses punch card machines, and a few "newer" black screen, green text machines...

Yep, it was an IBM mainframe. Input was punch cards, output was punch cards or paper printout.

Well, yesterday a friend of mine and my son was invited to tour a Sacramento model train club. They had a Digitrax Chief system up and running. Man, I was impressed. They had 5 operators running trains on the layout at the same time. Diesel and steam. Dimming headlites, ditch lights blinking, sound, working signals and "gridlock".:D

They have the mainline track work complete, switches and signals. It was amaizing to see UP DD engine stall with double stacks on a 2 degree grade and request a SD40 helper to get it over the hill. Fun!!!

They also showed me the options that the Digitrax had and I was impressed. So I guess its time to save those nickels and dimes for the Digitrax basic system.

Well, yesterday a friend of mine and my son was invited to tour a Sacramento model train club. They had a Digitrax Chief system up and running. Man, I was impressed. They had 5 operators running trains on the layout at the same time. Diesel and steam. Dimming headlites, ditch lights blinking, sound, working signals and "gridlock".:D

They have the mainline track work complete, switches and signals. It was amaizing to see UP DD engine stall with double stacks on a 2 degree grade and request a SD40 helper to get it over the hill. Fun!!!

They also showed me the options that the Digitrax had and I was impressed. So I guess its time to save those nickels and dimes for the Digitrax basic system.

Congrats on your decision. I love the Digitrax system and have full compatibility with nearly everyone else I know that's close by. That was a big factor for us.

:rolleyes: I am leaning hard on going with Digitrax also. I am going to go for broke I think...LOL. I think I will go with the Radio Equipped Super Chief Premium Set which includes the following...DT400R Super Radio Throttle, DCS100 Command Station/Booster, UR91 Radio Receiver, LT1 LocoNet Cable/Decoder Tester, Complete Manuals, and I will go for the 8 amp system. O boy here I go! I may get an extra DT400R as well...and more decoders:D hmmm I will keep ya all posted!;)

:D Hoo rah! I have made my order...:eek: yowsa yowsa! What a major investment in my MRR! Hopefully I can generate enough revenue to pay for that expense...LOL:p Now it is the waiting game!:rolleyes:

Back