Fading colors/writing?

NIevo

What method do most people use to fade or weather the lettering on their rolling stock? I want to take the sharpness out of the lettering without having to just apply really heavy weathering over them. I hope that makes sense:D

The easiest way I've found is to use artist's pastel chalks that are near the same color as the lettering. Just give the lettering a good coat of chalk with some streaking down from the lettering. You have to do it more that what looks right because, when you spray it with dullcote, it lightens up the weathering. Practice this on a few junker cars before trying it on one you really like.

Depends on what you're modeling. I found, when painting my CN SD50F, that a dry brushed pass with the CN orange helped to make one of the road number look like its all but worn off.

NIevo,

Do mean like the lettering on this Rock Island engine??

100_1383.jpg

Yeah, basically. That and the look you get from being out in the sun for 20 years or so:) How did you achieve that look?

I've had good results with an eraser (pen or pencil), and better results with a scuff pad. Sort of like a Brilo or a Scotch Brite.
I like that idea of drybrushing the same color as the car tho!

Back