Excellent Traffic Signs

D

dthurman

Not so much a how to or picture of traffic signs, though as soon as I make them I will post what I did, I did find probably the best source for signs yet.

The Best Traffic Signs!

I am grabbing the images now. As we all know, things come and go so fast on the Internet, you may want to snag your supply now ;)

Got'em!

dthurman said:
I am grabbing the images now. As we all know, things come and go so fast on the Internet, you may want to snag your supply now ;)
I saved my own supply too David, thanx for the heads-up!:cool:

Great link David, thanks for posting your find. I'll have to get a supply tonight.

13.gif
Willis

Willis - I'm just curious, since I haven't been North of the border in over 40 years: Do the road signs in Canada look pretty much the same as down here?

I spent most of the evening taking the largest images I could from the site, I wanted to get some good detail even for N scale. The higher your DPI/Resolution, the better for printing. I did get 1 set to print on some Evergreen styrene the plain type SKU # 9010 which is 010" thick, (0.25mm) and used a printer like Epson's CX5200, which uses an oli based ink, less prone to smearing. I think I need to do a thin coat of DullCote or PS Flat finish to seal it in. They looked good, though wouldn't you know, I am out of ink :(

I know I have bought sign material from people like JL and Blair and you get 1 index card sized shete of signs, the image quality is pretty much fair, and you spend $3-6 bucks, cost for these...your time and some printer ink ;)

That's a great resource, David. Thanks for the link. And directly from the MUTCD, which is what I point anyone to who has specific questions on signs.

If you need to make the bases these signs mount on to, try your state department of transportation website and look for Standard Drawings. For example, try "S standards" under Standard Plans on the Colorado Department of Transportation website.

I have some .010" white styrene...I'll be interested to see how it runs through my color laser printer :)

Willis - I'm just curious, since I haven't been North of the border in over 40 years: Do the road signs in Canada look pretty much the same as down here?
Hi Ken, well yes they are, excepting a lot of signs have French and English wording on them. After while a person doesn't even notice or pay much attention to that. The shapes and colors of regulatory signs are about the same about the only slight differences might be in highway identification signs. All in all I don't see that much noticeable difference when driving in the US I believe it's pretty much standard.

Cheers Willis

Back