Ever seen a really neat scene that would look too unrealistic recreated as a model???

I always enjoy attempting to create exact copies of specific prototypes when creating both specific model trains, structures, etc., as well as entire scenes.

However, since I enjoy creating unique pieces of equipment I find myself running into situations where a model would look unrealistic despite being a perfect copy of the prototype.

The perfect examples of this are Burlington Northern numbers 1, 2, & 3.

According to Paul Schneider in “Burlington Northern Diesel Locomotives”, BN 1,2,& 3 are GE 44-tonners which were acquired from the CB&Q during the merger which were never repainted but had their recording marks changed from CB&Q to BN and were numbered 1,2, & 3 (all of this is confirmed in photos in the book). The book then goes on to say that all three locos continued to work together in the same yard until they were retired.

http://www.mugii.com/john/Pictures/SE_Iowa_1970s/BN GE 44 Tonner 3.2.jpg

http://www.mugii.com/john/Pictures/SE_Iowa_1970s/BN GE 44 Tonner 3.jpg

I’ve already constructed BN #1 from a River Raisin model and have long wanted to construct one of its twins.

However, each time I go to buy the model to create this second model, a little voice in my head tells me that, despite the fact that this occurred regularly on the prototype, it would look entirely unrealistic to have two of these locos running together (I already get enough questions about the “realisticness” of BN #1).

Do any of you find that you have similar misgivings about constructing a unique (but still very prototypical) project???

not sure I've attained that level of prototypical modeling, but my short answer would be to shrug it off.

Model railroading is about making YOURSELF satisfied with YOUR efforts. If we depend on others' opinions to derive satisfaction we'll never get there.

Let them ask, then show them the pic. Then show them the door.....

How about two SW1500's doubled to haul the Governor's train?

gov01.jpg

gov02.jpg

gov05.jpg

I have been accussed of nonprototype loco's. I have 2.

I have a U30B with no cab painted and decaled for the MP. The unit's cab was wrecked and the MP fixed everything but left off the cab. MP ran it as a B unit for about 2 yrs. Then MP used an EMD cab so it could be used as a lead unit.

I have the U boat with out and with the EMD cab. I keep the pics of the real unit handy for show and tell. I think the people that get most bent out of shape are the rivet counters. There were 2 guys in the RR club I use to be a member that were real pains. One thing I did notice was I had about 20 loco's and 100 piece's of rolling stock to run on the club layout and they had none. They spent to much time rivet counting and none building or having fun with what was avaiable.
I went looking for the pics on the hard drive and there gone I will have to scan the hard copies in and post later.

Those Burlington/BN 44 tonners were well known among most railfans because they were about the last, if not the last, 44 tonners run by a class 1 railroad. Heck, the BN kept all 10 ex-GN NW5's in service until 1982, which is even weirder. :) Now, it's doubtful that any of the 44 tonners ran together since they had no MU controls but they certainly worked the same yard. Go ahead and build what you like, especially since you've done your homework. In case you didn't know, Bachmann has a perfect match for those 44 tonners with DCC for less than $50.

I have a U30B with no cab painted and decaled for the MP. The unit's cab was wrecked and the MP fixed everything but left off the cab. MP ran it as a B unit for about 2 yrs. Then MP used an EMD cab so it could be used as a lead unit.

i've seen pics of that one in the Diesel Spotter's Guide, iirc.

I run my IC steam with the streamliner cars. After talking with some IC buffs I was told It was possible to see this but rare. I heard a few people yesterday question if that was prototipical. I said yes but it was rare but this is a hobby so its My railroad and I run it how I want !!!!!

LOL
Trent

A prototype scene that I model always raises eyebrows by both visitors and modelers alike... a set-off with a 20 ft. gravel pad.
I get comments such as: it doesn't go anywhere, where is the truck supposed to go, in the real world there would be a road to it, etc.
We got off on such a thing (signal access) in British Columbia to clear a train and were stuck there for three hours.

A prototype scene that I model always raises eyebrows by both visitors and modelers alike... a set-off with a 20 ft. gravel pad.
I get comments such as: it doesn't go anywhere, where is the truck supposed to go, in the real world there would be a road to it, etc.
We got off on such a thing (signal access) in British Columbia to clear a train and were stuck there for three hours.

So it was a Hy-Railer "passing siding"?

Back