Ever had this happen to you at a restaurant?

NScaler

Engineer in Training
I took my family out to dinner last night. My wife baby-sits a few kids during the day sometimes and we had one of the kids with us. So it was my wife and I, our 7 year old, our 20 month old, and a 2 year old. We had a nice dinner and when it was time to ask for the check the waiter said a couple had already paid our bill. We spoke to nobody in the restaurant. So I have no idea what provoked the kind gesture. This was the most generous thing I have ever had happen to me from a complete stranger because our bill was like $50.00. I really wish I had paid a bit more attention to the people around me so I might someday be able to say thank you. I didn't need my bill paid. So I really wish I knew why they did this. Maybe it was because I was in my work clothes and my wife was dressed for spring cleaning. Maybe we looked like poor folk :p

If the kind couple is somehow watching - I am going to pass on your kindness to a friend who can use the money more than me. And to anyone on here who has done something like this for someone - God Bless You!

I've had that happen at a restaurant as well. I went to dinner with my mother, and a cousin and his wife who were visiting from out of state, and a couple from another table who we didn't know decided they wanted to pay our bill. In my area, northern Virginia, there is a Christian radio station that promotes paying for the car behind you at a drive through restaurant. I was riding with my boss once last year and our McDonalds meals were paid for by the car in front of us (which of course was gone by the time we found out). A few other people I know have also had their meals paid for by the car in front at the drive through. On occasion, I have heard it has continued for several cars as one after another pays for the meal for the car behind them. Its kind of a nice "pay it forward" gesture that gives people an opportunity to brighten up someone else's day.

It just goes to show, there are still a few decent people left in this world. The really nice thing about this is it was done completely anonymously. That, in my opinion, is true generosity.

Yes, it has happened to me. Several times in fact. Not just bills in restaurants. On one occasion a woman came out of no where in the grocery store and just shoved a $50 bill into my wife's hand. Said something like I just had an overwhelming sense to give this to you. She vanished into the crowd before we could even comprehend what had just happened. And it isn't like we give the appearance of being needy either. I am usually the best dressed person in the place. The mystery remains.

What I actually appreciated more was on several instances while we were eating some people would come up to the table and say something like, "When you came in we were expecting chaos, but your children are so well behaved it gives us hope for the next generation." One young couple even said they might now consider having children.

Never once did the magic bill pay coincide with a comment though....

Wish someone in the hobby store would pay the bill for that next brass loco.

Last edited by a moderator:
You may be onto something. We went in to a restaurant with mostly older couples. I expected complete chaos from the children but they were really well behaved.

I have never had it happen TO us but we have been on the giving side of the experience - families with well behaved toddlers, seniors (ummm, seniors who are older than the two of us seniors :eek: ), and officers of the law. We believe that we are 'fortunate' and like doing it when we can.

Wonderful to hear about those experiences. Maybe there is hope for society to move beyond every man for himself.

It's all too easy to not realize how good you have it.

My wife and I were just discussing the irony of "1st world problems" last night... How we had a friend complaining that times were tight - when his lease was up he might have to get a 3-series instead of a 5-series BMW... and how we have to remember to be thankful rather than upset that our biggest financial challenge is whether we can continue to afford private school for the kids, rather than struggling for medical care, food or a roof over our heads...

And yes... it occurred to me that anyone who can afford a "hobby" - especially a non-cheap one like ours - really has no business complaining about finances...

I'm of an age where my grandparents raised my parents during the depression, and I recall things like cleaning out my wife's grandfather's workshop after he passed, and finding boxes full of shoe-soles and mismatched shoelaces and such from a "throw nothing away" era. I still have all his tools, because he never got rid of anything, and honestly - they're built like a brick outhouse; thank goodness he did! His bench-grinder is getting close to 100 years old, and to this day would reduce an entire railroad spike to slivers without even heating up. Betcha today's made-in-china-with-plastic versions couldn't do the same...

We have been complimented by beaming retirees who enjoyed their noon diner meal as aged travellers would probably prefer to do. Our kids were always well-mannered at the table, and restaurants were no exception.

My wife and I were in Garmisch-Partenkirchen many years ago. We were enjoying my two week holiday in the late third of my six month peacekeeping tour of Cyprus. We entered a konditorei and ordered coffees and goodies. It being busy, an elderly woman, well dressed, asked if she could join us since we had the free seat. We said of course, and had a pleasant chat with her. She had a coffee and a goodie. When we excused ourselves, more out of courtesy in case she had preferred to sip her coffee contemplatively, we paid her bill at the till. Such things are merely gestures of good will. I think more of us should do it. What goes around comes around, and sometimes it comes in times of great need.

Last edited by a moderator:
With the 'ratings-grabbing' media, it's all about what sells. And sadly they push the bad to boost their ratings. It's real nice to hear about people in this day and age that are still civil and gracious to one another. Thanks for sharing some of the good in this world.

Welll, I can always continue to hope. Just before I break out my credit card, I will pause for a moment just in case someone else is going to jump in. :cool:

Do that Ken - turn and look at the guy next in line for a few second before you grab your wallet. Then when he doesn't offer to pay give him a crappy look :D

Sent from my SPH-D710BST using Tapatalk

It happens to some people In military uniforms. Something to remember if you find yourself sitting near one. Especially if they appear to be from out of town.

Forum:

I once had a Walther's Customer Appreciation Card, 20 punches for each $25 purchases and once the card is filled, you can redeem it at Walther's for $50 in store credit, this card had only one punch left until it was filled. I remember walking out of Walther's showroom in Milwaukee as I put the card back into my wallet.

On my next visit to Walther's my card was missing from my wallet. I'm sure that it dropped out of my wallet as I left Walther's on my last trip. The next customer was rewarded well if they found the card.

Greg

I suspect your kids were well behaved. I have three boys, all grown now, but we really tried to keep them in line when out in public. We think we did a good job, several times people commented to us about how well behaved they were. I always think, they damn well better be! :)

I too have bought dinner for strangers, usually the ones with well behaved kids!

I have heard of that happening at fast food drive through.. The person ahead pays for the next car... sometimes the next car will pay for the next and so on. It is a good way to give the young person working at the drive through an experience they will not forget.

Back