Eurotunnel blaze - wreck towed out

It looks like it must have been quite a hot fire to have melted those vehicles. I was surprised to hear the engineer say the the recommendations from the 1996 tunnel fire report haven't yet been implemented. Wel, I guess not surprised since engineer's recommendations are always ignored, but this is the second fire that is going to cost a huge amount of money to repair. Until they start using enclosed vehicle carriers with their own foam fire supression system, this is going to happen over and over again and people wil die.

Lorry

Macjet.
The correct spelling is LORRY.
A lorry is not necessarily a SEMI, it is usually anything bigger than what we would call a pickup truck.
I grew up in a country that used lorries. Rhodesia, now Zimbabwe.
Mac.

It looks like it must have been quite a hot fire to have melted those vehicles. I was surprised to hear the engineer say the the recommendations from the 1996 tunnel fire report haven't yet been implemented. Wel, I guess not surprised since engineer's recommendations are always ignored, but this is the second fire that is going to cost a huge amount of money to repair. Until they start using enclosed vehicle carriers with their own foam fire supression system, this is going to happen over and over again and people wil die.
Sadly the biggest problem is the condition of many of the vehicles using the shuttle. The safety standards and maintanence of some commercial vehicles leaves a lot to be desired. This is especially true of many Eastern European countries.

Back