Erie wood caboose--which red??

oxfordlawn

Still learning
Building a JJL Models Caboose kit. I have searched and realized there are spartan red, caboose red, red and so on......which is this shade red for the wood cabooses from this period? I do airbrush and will order whatever needed. I believe the first picture, which is 30 years older than the last 2 is more the correct color, am I right here:confused:

Do you want freshly painted or paint that is 10+ years old?
Red paint does fade rapidly is sun light so any of those reds can be correct.

I like the looks of the red in the first photo.

Something else to think about is how accurate is the color on the car in a picture. Towns and businesses sometimes use them as an attraction. Unless the car has been correctly restored or is being maintained by a historical society the color of the paint may well be what the local "expert" decided was right. The first pic looks to be a part of a RR museum of sorts and the next 2 pics look like the car is just an attraction or a landmark of some kind.

I wouldn't imagine that paint shades were very consistent back then even without fading. They'd be happy if it was dark reddish.

I just painted the red body parts..I read a new trick on some website earlier so I tried it...adding Future to the paint mix in the cup of the airbrush...WOW what great results. I always warm the paint bottle first, and this time I thinned as usual then added 2 drops of Furture floor wax and amazing...it flowed out so nice. anyway..this is the color I went with.

I have two of these kits that will be PM cabs, your body casting on the ends does it look of good crisp quality? could you post some pics?

I have two of these kits that will be PM cabs, your body casting on the ends does it look of good crisp quality? could you post some pics?
The ends look good....the plank lines on the body above the window are not all that clean in 2 areas...they could be scribed back in and will be(maybe--its starting to bother me)...but for the price of this kit...should be perfect... But nothing horrible I have seen yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is that enamel or acrylic?

Acrylics. I like acrylics for the fact if something doesnt turn out the way I like it...into the windex wash it goes and the paint comes right off with no harm. I learned on and have become very comfortable with acrylics..enamel just turns me off because of the harder clean up for the most part...I have some but hardly ever use.

The ends look good....the plank lines on the body above the window are not all that clean in 2 areas...they could be scribed back in and will be(maybe--its starting to bother me)...but for the price of this kit...should be perfect... But nothing horrible I have seen yet.

yeah mine look like that also, and I completely agree for the price they should be perfect

yeah mine look like that also, and I completely agree for the price they should be perfect

hows your cupola look? mines a little rough especially on the corners. It came all put together, but as one piece sure can tell where the original was pieced together, again not great edges and alignment.:rolleyes:

hows your cupola look? mines a little rough especially on the corners. It came all put together, but as one piece sure can tell where the original was pieced together, again not great edges and alignment.:rolleyes:

Its not that great either. I have a friend that has a dunmoore cab from jjl and that this is perfect, I went with jjl because of the craftman ship on that caboose, so far I am not that impressed

Acrylics. I like acrylics for the fact if something doesnt turn out the way I like it...into the windex wash it goes and the paint comes right off with no harm. I learned on and have become very comfortable with acrylics..enamel just turns me off because of the harder clean up for the most part...I have some but hardly ever use.

Not to mention the smell. The wife's biggest complaint these days is how the basement smells like model paint.

Back