Engine painting service

BNSF9374

Engine painting

IMG_0015.JPG

Charlie Schulz

Last edited by a moderator:
If you post some examples of your finished work people will be able to see if your skill level is acceptable to them. "Showin' beats tellin'" as they say.

I have a friend who used to model Penn Central because you could buy Athearn undecorated locomotives and cars and just add decals and Dullcote.

There's 3 guys here on the Forum that custom paint engines & they are quite good at it. They also have an excellent track record(pun intended) & are not cheap. They have been painting engines, installing electronics, DCC boards. super detailing, etc.
So, like someone just said here on the forum, pictures speak a thousand words or a thousand pictures. I also paint my own w/a rattle can because I can't afford a custom painter. You have to figure shipping costs both ways, paint, time, sand blasting or stripping the engines for paint & detailing. It's not just the painting that is involved.
Just my 10 cents worth.(the economy is going up, so, 2cents isn't enough anymore).

OK, thanks. I am not going to be very expensive, Of course it depends on the model and then of course I would charge people for the decals and paint, but how much do they charge?

Like what was said before, there are quite a few people on this site that paint engines. Photos speak for themselves.

I think $40.00 sounds pretty fair, hopefully someone who has had work done recently will verify this. I've never paid for a paint job so I don't know the going rate. I buy factory paint jobs or do my own.

Most people charge $60.00 just for the paint job. That's one color. xtra colors are $20.00 more per color which pays for the masking & etc. Then if you want stripes(painted or pin stripes) that is more. If they have to strip the engine & prime it before paint that is another $20.00. Putting all of the details back on & painting them is another amt. xtra details are more plus the cost of each item & the painting of those items. Then decaling it is more. The average postage is flat rate each way which most engines fit in a $10.70 box. So, that is another $21.40 round trip. If you want DCC decoders, LED lites, ditchlites & speakers added that is more. So, everyone that paints & details engines is this about Right?

I have had jbaakko do one for me and he is in the process of the second. think his price was $90 for a strip, repaint in two colors, decal and some details of plows MU cables ditch lights (non operating), handrails and some other minor stuff. His price also includes shipping the unit back. I am not talented enough to do what some of you guys can do so the price was right for me.

ok, thanks for the info. I think that $40 will be the set rate no matter about the stripes or whatever. Decals and paint I totaled to be an average of $15, and then like you said, the shipping. I can charge more, but I don't want to because I enjoy it too much, so I feel like I'm getting alot out of it other than money. How about an extra $15 if people want it weathered. I do weather cars and engines and enjoy that also.

Back