emergency vehicles in HO scale

Yeah, you could leave the lenses clear but try some of the green glitter nail polish in some clear plastic. You'll see what I mean about giving the lense some depth. Clear light bars are barely noticeable in HO and having some color makes them stand out.

With all due respect to the maker of the video, I liked his grade crossing signals better. :) There are four basic types of light bars: revolving lights, strobe lights, LED lights, or some combnation of the the first three. The first car looked like a pretty good representation of revolving lights, if that's what they were supposed to be. The Dodge just looked like a mish-mosh of flashing red lights that didn't resemble any real light bar in action. Compare that to the grade crossing flashers, which were LED's and had the typical sharp cut-off you see with LED's. The light bars might have looked better (or worse) from a front or rear view but they usually look their worst from the side. I wish he would have included other views so I could make a better judgement of how realistic his work looked.

I just got a red Jeep Wrangler Unlimited for my fire dept.It's for the asst. chief.I'm basing my fire dept. on the Pine Bluff,AR fire dept.The asst. chief has a Dodge Durango for the incident command vehicle.He rolls out when there's a fire call.Also the fire dept. started handling medical calls a few years ago.I put a red Streethawk lightbar on top of it.I just need decals.Also I got the van for the county's OEM.I haven't done anything to it yet.

Umm...what song? I must have missed something. :)

Trainman, if you're building out the Durango as an ICS vehicle, don't forget a green strobe on it somewhere. Ours was mounted on top of the lightbar. That stepvan would also make a good incident command post. You can only work out of the back of a Durango in good weather and for so long on any incident before your need more room and weather protection. We had a 36 foot long motor home purchased with Homeland Security funds that was a combination Law/SAR/Fire CP and it was almost useless because of it's size. You needed a shopping center parking lot to set it up. A stepvan size CP works a lot better.

All of my police vehicles for my town are going to be white.I don't know whether I should use black or white vehicles for my sheriff's dept.What do you think?

It really varies all over the country. What do they do in the location you're modeling? If if it's freelanced, you can do anything you want. If there's any general rule, black and whites tend to be used by cities and white or white and some other combination of color is used by most sheriff's departments. Our S.O. used white with a green stripe on the sides and trunk. The cities in the county used everything from white to black and white and one even used brown and white. If you go to Copcar.com, you'll see almost any combination you can imagine. My fictitious town uses black and white and the sheriff's units are all black. Pretty much up to you.

It really varies all over the country. What do they do in the location you're modeling? If if it's freelanced, you can do anything you want. If there's any general rule, black and whites tend to be used by cities and white or white and some other combination of color is used by most sheriff's departments. Our S.O. used white with a green stripe on the sides and trunk. The cities in the county used everything from white to black and white and one even used brown and white. If you go to Copcar.com, you'll see almost any combination you can imagine. My fictitious town uses black and white and the sheriff's units are all black. Pretty much up to you.

My town is fictitious also.My town is called Normanville.

My fire department covers both my railroad and airfield (1/72 scale fire helo base) Gonna split it into 2 stations now that I have actual ARFF (Aircraft Rescue/ FireFighting) units.

my origonal fire station:
FireStation.jpg

the new equipment:
DSC02850.jpg

Workign an MVA, Corvette ran under the rear of a tractor-trailer:
DSC02928.jpg

In this photo, taken by a local media helo, a front-end loader was in the area and was used to lift the back of the big rig off the car so firefigthers could free the driver.

DSC02917.jpg

The driver was then taken by ambulance to a local field where they were medevaced to the nearest trauma hospital:

DSC02913.jpg

I hace completed 1 kitbash, turning the Boley "brush truck" mentioned previously into a tactical rescue truck complete with a rescue boat and launching crane, I am working on a ladder truck kit bash. I'll post pics next time I get things set up.

Speaking of emergency & HO... I just picked up a Boley CDF truck, and the package says 1:72 scale on it!

Shortliner: I believe it is a Corgi hummer, Chicago airport FD, and it is a 1/64 model. with the arrival of better scaled models it has been "retired."

jbaakko: yes, a very few Boley vehicles are 1:72. mostly straight pickup style brush trucks. dont ask me why...

if yo uhave a photo I ,ight could tell you if the box is a mis-print.

Oh its a misprint, but I think it might have something to do with the pickups. The CDF truck packaging varies from the normal vehicles. Think maybe the 1:87 truck got stuck on a card for the 1:72 pickups.

Emergency vehicle models with electronics

Hi, I'm new to this forum. I had been searching for a forum that dealt with model emergency vehicles and stumbled on this one. While I am impressed with the models shown and comments in this thread, I am not into model railroads, but I am into bringing models to life using electronics. As a 70 year old retiree, I want to pass on my experience to others. While I have built numerous larger scale models, I have fitted out a police car, ambulance and fire truck in 1:87 scale, with alternating flashing lights, head and tail lights. These are mounted on a display board, but can be mounted anywhere in a layout with wiring under the board.
The red/white striping is cut from reflective self adhesive tape and enhances the model's appearance under light.
The larger models also have electronic sirens and some have turning indicators and 4 way hazard lights.
Electronic sirens can also be mounted under layouts. I hollow out the underside of MDF to allow for the small circuit boards and miniature loud speaker.
If there is any interest shown, I can make the circuits etc available.

Cheers, Johnno.:p

Back