Ell&l rr

JPIII

car toad
A picture of the chosen space in my shop for my planned layout.
There is enough room for a U shaped 12' X 16' with an extension of the long dimension to 19 X 32" wide ....if I want to turn the stove pipe on the left into the worlds largest Cedar tree.......there is one in Olympic Natl' Part that is 22 feet in diameter, IIRC......nope, the pipe ain't big enough, but I can fix that.:D

There is enough room for a U shaped 12' X 16'

This might be a little too large for your space, but something to think about. Sometimes a "G" will fit in the same space as a "U", depending on the minimum radius, of course.

HO Logging Railroad in 13'X19'

HO_log_and_more_600.gif

Or this smaller HO Logging Layout in less than 100 square feet could be expanded

HO_10X10_logger.jpg

Best of luck.

The pellet srove in the corner is a problem. Accesss to that is good if I want heat out there during the cool/cold NW winter. Moving that is out.

When I built the shop, 24 X 36 felt huge.....a bit less with the cabinetry, but still.....
It's amazing how quickly it filled up and at the time there were other hobbies going.

I still use the rest of the shop for wood working & cars tho the major builds are over.......unless I hit the lotto.

This thing kinda evolved over 10+ years (DIY takes a while) from a stock 914. I hope my RR turns out as well.....but I may not have 10 years.

Last edited by a moderator:
A good day today.
Got care packages with a bunch of cars, A loco, track, and a pack of cars......and the wife didn't have a conniption fit.:D
Got some wood yesterday....probably not enough but the big box ain't going nowhere.
Got the shop rearranged today......it's time to make sawdust.

I Think I'll take a nap.

Got some work done this week.....I'm slower than I used to be.:D
The flat table is done & the elevated part goes up against the far wall.

Picked up some white foam(cheeep) 10.55 for a 1 inch 4 X 8 sheet and a hot wire cutter.

Got another loco for pulling junk up the grade. It is DCC ready having a 9 pin connector for a decoder. I'm open to opinions on a good manufacture of a decoders.

Enuff fun, now it's time to cut the grass.

CLIP
Picked up some white foam(cheeep) 10.55 for a 1 inch 4 X 8 sheet and a hot wire cutter.

CLIP

Enuff fun, now it's time to cut the grass.

Is that white foam the beaded type? if so what are you going to use it for?

As far as the grass goes - how about coming and cutting mine as it hasn't been cut in a week due to rain :D .

It is R Tech Insulfoam. Aluminum on one side & clear on the other. It peels off....tho the aluminum may be a challenge. I got it for landscape.

(EDIT) The insulfoam isn't going to work out. The clear backing peels off no problem but the aluminum fights for stickage. It peeled off fine at the store but only at the edges......come to find out. I bought 3 sheets and will use them AL. side down where it won't get cut up. I'll get the pink stuff at an increased cost of 50&........grrrrr. I'll need a bunch.

Progress is gud.
Making sawdust is over (knock wood). I've made enough over the years that I won't miss it. Now we are into foam, inclines, & laying out trackage. I'm not good enough to lay out the switch backs without building as you go. I've already found a problem involving lack of length for the over-runs & debateing myself on how to solve it. As in real life, another 6 inches would be nice.

Progress is gud.
... As in real life, another 6 inches would be nice.

Hope that your wife didn't say that!:D;):D

I gave my wife a cast iron 12" frying pan that she'd been looking to buy, for this last Birthday, and after unwrapping it, she hit me with it! I said, "What was that for???" Her answer was, "For being a lousy lover!!!".

I thought a minute, picked up another pan, and smacked her with it! She then yelled, "What was that for???" I answered, "For knowing the difference!!!":D:D:D:D

I know, bad joke!

An oldie but a goodie....kinda like my wife of 40 years. She still is trying to domesticate me tho......with limited success.

An oldie but a goodie....kinda like my wife of 40 years.

Hey, I'll take a 40 year old wife any day. ;):D Ah well, at least mine actually wants a Pennsy steam engine unlike my ex who barely tolerated anything RR-related.

Very nice garage you have there.

My wife understands I "need" a hobby......they have kept me from runnn' the streets .....but I get the "eye roll" as packages arrive that are *not addressed to her* lately.:D She may figure out that I am too old to do much runnin' these days. If so I'll use the "Internet shopping cuts both ways" line.:)

I built the shop in 2000 to build on my race car but it left a couple years ago. Now again I hear "You're always in the shop". Mission accomplished.

I haven't posted here in a while so it's time to show ya'll I haven't been sitting on my hands.

I will (and have been) visiting here in the future because the level of expertise is very high. I figure I owe the nearly 600 viewers of this thread a last update here.

The Moderator and I have some basic disagreements, it's his park so I'll take my stick & ball & go elsewhere. I don't wish to cause any more uproar nor have a debate.

OK. These is a I've never done this before in progress jobbie.....but I have a better plan. Folding & taping newspapers is a mindless chore....even if done well and I can't shut my mind down and have a better plan. I bought a stationary hot wire cutter a bit ago & figured I'd better put it to work.
Total gain in elevation is 13.5 inches. The initial slope was about 16 deg.
I did 4% on the straight stretches & 2% on the curves.

The pics.

I'm back for another run at this site.
An updated pic of the RR.....progress is slow but steady....kinda like this old guy. Learning my trade.....and making an extra effort to be inoffensive. ...
picture.php

Hey fellow Vancouverite!

Your layout looks great. I had spent loads of time trying to come up with a switchback layout in On30 and finally gave up due to lack of space. Do you have specifications on things like how long of a train you can fit through the switchbacks, or what grade you run up the hill?

Hay, Vancouver doesn't seem to be a hot bed of model railroading so it's good to hear from another denizen.

This is my first MRR so bear with me. I don't have a good handle on the "degree of difficulty".....so I just plug along taking an seemingly inordinate amount of time to do most anything. It is a photo-freelance RR......I'm working off bunch of old B&W photos for inspiration.

I have 30 inches of over-run at the ends of each switchback. This allows 5 log cars & a loco (all being short). The grade is up to 4%. Geared steamers have no problem making the grade.....I could have gone a lot steeper.....each SB has 4 feet of grade. The overall length of each SB is 9 feet , total rise is about 14 inches, with 6 SBs....depending on where you're going.....I'll include another (non-current photo) for a better look at em'.

I'll leave the "incline" ( one of my never/seldom seen features that helps drive my layout) for another time tho that is a proto-typical solution for space concerns. I could have done the climb in 2-4 feet rather than 45. A bit of that shows on the back, far right of this pic.

picture.php

I'm down to my last 4 feet of RR and I ran out of foam.....need less than a half sheet to finish off what I had planned. Fortunately I'm a plan-as-you-go guy and new plans come & go. .......Another sheet won't break the bank & I'll come up with a use for the excess.
picture.php

Back