EBAY?!?!

Ash Pit

Have any of you who have an account at Ebay received a note from Ebay about their changing how stuff is paid for; or, how you pay for the stuff you've purchased? Essentially, my understanding from Ebay is that they will no longer be using Pay Pal as a method of payment. Instead (and I am totally confused about this) Pay Pal is out and the money from a sale goes directly to your bank account that you used to set-up your Pay Pal account! However, instead of the money being immediately available, like it was with Pay Pal, it will take from 3-5 days for the transfer to take place! I have not been able to find information on on how to pay for things directly from my bank account; so, when the money becomes available in my bank account, I need to transfer it to Pay Pal, which takes another 3-5 days! This is absolutely not convenient and not treating Ebay's customers well! Attempting to find answers on this new process is next to impossible! What is screwy about this is that Ebay is still going to my Pay Pal account to pay for shipping charges and other fees!

Has anyone else been told of this and if so, what more do you know about it?

I have not received any such communications. While I will admit I am not a regular ebay shopper, I just checked my account and see no such message and have PayPal as my ONLY payment option.

I would recommend contacting ebay directly with your concerns. Takes a while to get through their "Contact Us" map, and they don't list a phone number, but there is a link where you can have them call you.

I was starting to thing this was scam, too, so I did a little research. Looks like ebay IS cutting ties with PayPal in favor of Adyen. Looks like PayPal will continue to be an option for payments until 2023. Not sure how it is currently working for sellers, as I haven't sold anything on ebay for ages, but it doesn't look like I will need to rush into a new account for anything.

KB02, I have hours attempting to get answer from them!
Yes, this just recently happened to me. You have to link a bank account from a financial institution and provide enough information to prove you are the account owner (part of BSA/AML laws). I don't like ebay going to my checking account, but if you want to sell and use their platform we have to abide by their rules.

Rhyfel,

So, let me get this straight: They send my payment to my account at my "Financial Institution" and it takes 3-5 days for the transfer. Then, I get the payment and if I want to buy something on Ebay; or, elsewhere, I must transfer money to my Pay Pal account, which takes another 3-5 days! Is this the jist of what is transpiring?

Rhyfel,

So, let me get this straight: They send my payment to my account at my "Financial Institution" and it takes 3-5 days for the transfer. Then, I get the payment and if I want to buy something on Ebay; or, elsewhere, I must transfer money to my Pay Pal account, which takes another 3-5 days! Is this the jist of what is transpiring?
Hello,

The transfer of payment being used is not an "instant payment" which PayPal uses, and gotten them in trouble. It appears that ebay is using an ACH payment which should normally take 2-3 days. Five seems a bit ridiculous. I don't like my checking accounts linked to anything and make all payments with my credit card, then pay them off instantly. This way you get "free" money through the points. Plus its easier to replace a credit card than a checking account. If you link your credit card to PayPal, it should prevent you having to delay purchasing things. Unfortunately you will have to wait to pay it off until the amount hits your checking. I don't like it, but its their platform and they are in the business of making money.

The following was copied from an email I received a moment ago.

Let’s put money directly in your pocket*
eBay now manages the end-to-end selling experience on our marketplace, including payments.
This means:
• No more PayPal payment processing fees.
• You get paid directly to your bank account, not your PayPal account.
• Most sellers will pay the same or less than before.**

Update your account details by February 28, 2021 to continue creating new listings. It’s that simple.

Please disregard this email if you’ve already updated your account details.

FAQ’s:
Why is the way I’m getting paid on eBay changing?
We are updating the payments experience on eBay to enhance the buying and selling experience on the marketplace. We believe this is an opportunity to deliver a more seamless experience for both buyers and sellers, while offering a greater choice in payment and payout options.

Is there anything I need to do right now?
Please update your account details, including adding your bank account information, by February 28, 2021 to ensure there are no interruptions to your ability to create new listings and avoid potential payout delays. Learn more and get started here.

How are my fees changing?
Your eBay selling fees and expenses will be automatically deducted from your earnings before you get paid. The remainder of your earnings will go directly to your bank account, not your PayPal account. You'll no longer have to pay PayPal payment processing fees and no more separate monthly fee payments. Examples of eBay selling fees include: insertion fees, listing upgrades, and store subscription fees.

*As it relates to funds settlement.
**Savings based on annual total sales volumes, and comparisons of (a) prior eBay final value fees plus typical 3rd party payment provider fees, with (b) new eBay final value fees (without any 3rd party processing fees).

I don't have it linked to my checking. I opened a savings account and only keep the minimum amount in there.
Trouble with that is, they require a checking account! A savings account will come back as a failed payment.
I read the info they make you read to get out of actually having to talk to you.

McLeod, My savings account has always worked for Pay Pal. Are you talking about now, with the new Ebay system?

Last edited:
McLeod, My savings account has always worked for Pay Pal. Are you talking about now, with the Ebay system?
Yes, I'm talking about the new Ebay changes. I just read in the Ebay notes that you must use a checking account in your name that can be verified as yours. Checking accounts only, no saving accounts.
Don't ask me why! I tried for an hour to get to talk with a real Ebay person last evening. It was like riding a carousel going around in a circle. Finally gave up.

I'm going to pay my final bill with them, having to transfer money back into paypal. Then I'm going to research for a different platform to sell my junk.

McLeod, Can I ask you to share the note stating that Ebay want's the account to be a checking account. I don't see mention of this in Stumpy's note above. In fact, could I get you to send me the information you have on this Ebay change, via a Personal message? I really appreciate your help!

Last edited:

Back