ebay bidders are nuts!

The smart way to bid if they have a preset incremental bid increase is to figure what your willing to pay including shipping then bid that amount( minus the shipping cost).Ebay will boost your bid by what ever the preset is till you either win or are outbid.

Oh and as far as your tag line is concerned,you are right "We did do it" :D

I Personally wait till about 3 minutes,and still have my trigger finger awiating,just incase a sniper is around.

I snipe with 15-20 seconds left on the clock just in case my internet connection decides to slow down on me.

If I REALLY want the item, I will bid once to get outbid, but then I can use the 1-click bid button with 3-5 seconds left to snipe.

You guys have to remember the #1 rule of e-Bay bidding:

No matter what it is, there will eventually be another one. And another and another and another.
Not strictly true. I'm in the UK and building a North American RR. On Ebay Uk there are very few US models which I can afford. Recently I bought a Mint Dash 8-40BW with decoder. My max bid was to be £70 which is a lot cheaper thqan a new one with decoder over here.

I sniped 15 seconds from the end. I got it for £41 plus £5 postage. £46 for a mint decoder fitted US loco is a major deal so I'll stick to the sniping.

If you don't like the sniping then there is another auction site that adds a minute on each time a bid is made with less than 5 minutes to go. Then it's really like you're at an auction.

Angie

If there was a site very similar to ebay where each buyer could only make one bid per auction, would you be interested in using it? What if it didn't tell what the current bid was?

How about a system where when an item goes up for auction ...
no public high bid
no "buy it now"
no public bid count
users can increase or decrease their bid, but are never informed of their current rank

But when the auction closes the item's listing changes to a timeline of full bidding details, with usernames and bids.
________
Sizzling_Asian

Last edited by a moderator:
You guys have to remember the #1 rule of e-Bay bidding:

No matter what it is, there will eventually be another one. And another and another and another. Getting caught up in the last minute frenzy is what the seller and e-Bay want you to do. That's why you get those inflammatory messages: "Don't let it get away!" :rolleyes: I put in my max bid, and don't look until after the auction closes. I miss some items, but eventually, I get what I want, at the price I'm willing to pay. Also: Buy in the summer, sell in the winter.

Depends, there is an out of production car that I have a daily check done for me by ebay (favorites). My goal is to eventually have 50 of these cars, decorated for a specific road name. After a few years of bidding feverishly (and winning 100% of these cars) I have about 35 of them, but the stream has turned into a trickle, I got only 2 in the last year.
So like I said, it depends.;)

Personally I've never understood why people wait to the last minute to bid. Just put in your highest offer on the item when you find it and be done. It's kind of how the system is designed to work.

Simple. The best thing an ebay seller can hope for is 2 people locked in a bidding war for the same item. The loser is the loser, the winner paid more than he initially hoped for.:eek:

Its great if you are a seller, but it sucks if you were either one of the bidders.

I stay out of that by using bidding software that places my bids in the last few seconds of the auction. Some people say it's not fair. My wallet doesn't seem to mind. :cool:

From Angie:

Not strictly true. I'm in the UK and building a North American RR. On Ebay Uk there are very few US models which I can afford. Recently I bought a Mint Dash 8-40BW with decoder. My max bid was to be £70 which is a lot cheaper thqan a new one with decoder over here."

From Karl:
"Depends, there is an out of production car that I have a daily check done for me by ebay (favorites). My goal is to eventually have 50 of these cars, decorated for a specific road name. After a few years of bidding feverishly (and winning 100% of these cars) I have about 35 of them, but the stream has turned into a trickle, I got only 2 in the last year.
So like I said, it depends."

Does not matter what it is guys, another one will be along. I've bought lots of out of production items, brass models, and so on. It may take a while, but another one does always come along. There were some pieces I was outbid on three or four times before I finally won one. It may take a while, but it happens. Just maybe not as fast as you'd like :D

Back