Dumb question; Double -v- single slip T/O's?

fast_ian

Hey,

Perusing the Walthers catalog (fewer better ways to waste time ;)) turned up double slip (948-8814) and single slip (948-8836) T/O's. They're identical dimensions, angles and price ($75 on sale @ $59 btw).

Now, I *thought* a slip allowed an entry on either leg on one side to exit on either leg on the other - What's the difference between the single & the double?

TIA, cheers,
Ian

Direct from wikipedia. The article goes on to state that slip switches are very expensive to build and maintain and are only used in very tight situations where conventional turnouts won't fit.

Doug

Double slip
A double slip switch (double slip) is a narrow-angled diagonal flat crossing of two lines combined with four pairs of points in such a way as to allow vehicles to change from one straight track to the other, as well as going straight across.

Single slip
A single slip switch works on the same principle as a double slip but provides for only one switching possibility. Trains approaching on one of the two crossing tracks can either continue over the crossing, or switch tracks to the other line. However, trains from the other track can only continue over the crossing, and cannot switch tracks.

Those are covers for the linkages and rodding that controls the points. Its just sheet metal to keep cinders, dirt, snow and ice out of the mechanism.

As far as I know they are older style switch motors with shaft drives.
Quite the track plan, yikes!

+1 So that they can throw two at the same time.

Quite the track plan, yikes!

Indeed! My guess is the dudes on the track *never* left! Can you imagine the maintenance on that mess?....... :eek:

OTOH, it kind of makes me want to duplicate it..... But using catenary! :)

Cheers,
Ian

Want double-slip turnouts?

Take a good long look at some real trackwork. :D

http://www.shorpy.com/node/7451?size=_original

That has got to be about the most awesome trackwork I have ever seen. Complete movement among rails is an understatement! Rail Traffic Control Dream! (Or Nightmare!) I am very curious to see what the surrounding trackage configuration for a few miles around was like.

On another note, I would guess this was likely a Sunday morning. Could you imagine what it is like with the steamers meandering through here on Monday? Wow.

Holy smokes batman, that trackwork is insane! I can't believe how sharp the curves are too. But seriously, that is a great image.

That actually gives me some ideas for my new station.

Those are covers for the linkages and rodding that controls the points. Its just sheet metal to keep cinders, dirt, snow and ice out of the mechanism.

Rico said:

So are those shaft drives and associated covers still in use today? If not, do you know approximately what time period/year(s) they were removed/replaced??

And if they were replaced, what with??

It's not a trick question by the way lol, the reason for asking is so that I can authentically reproduce the mechanisms on the two double slips being installed on my current project...

Send that image to the Fast Tracks guys, tell them it's a challenge. :D That is seriously crazy.

Back