Dsp&p 2-8-0 locomotive kit build

I’m going to look into watchmaker files, thank you for the suggestion Snowman. I collect watches as a side hobby and would love to rebuild old pocket watches as a side note lol.
It would probably take me quite a while to get the nerves up to kit bash a black stone model. I’ll have one at some point in the future, after I’ve practiced on other locomotives/kits.
As for this kit, I believe I will have to scratchbuild the front foot plate where the cow catcher mounts as it gives me the cow catcher I need to use for the kit, another one with a mount on it and a third option in case I want to have no cow catcher on the front. I’ll post a pic later to show what mean a bit better

I like this photo-analysis stuff and I'm gonna tag along with logandsawman here in his post #12 ^ and ask that same question: "Are you sure something isn't supposed to stick in that hole? That looks like a well drilled hole to my eye, and it's hard to see it as a flaw somehow. Your photo in post #13 shows the whistle located back along the roof, not atop the steam dome, and even though it still seems to be a bit forward of the hole drilled into the roof casting, and based on your side B&W side photo of 191, I'm betting it was the whistle that should go there. Or did at one time.

Your photo of 191 in post #1 at the CO RR museum shows the whistle sits atop the steam dome (the dome in front is the sand dome--you can tell by the drop down line to the front of the drivers, and it would be the same on the other side), but your photo of that same locomotive back in the day shows something different, IMO, so I think logandsawman might well be right on this one. The whistle sat atop the cab roof, fed by a steam line from the dome. At least back in the day.

You COULD ask the good folks the CO RR museum about it. I suspect someone there would know about those fine details and how the locomotive was rebuilt and repainted for display.
I see what you and logandsawman are talking about, I will contact the railroad museum to see if they can clarify things for certain. I was able to find the pdf that the Colorado railroad museum made for the 191 and here are a few photos of the locomotive when it was part of the Dsp&p and after if was sold to a logging company in Wisconsin. The first photo is really cool as it shows the 191 on my carbon which was just like half a mile from Morrison Colorado that I am modeling
IMG_0271.jpeg
IMG_0272.png

Does anyone have a recommendation for a reasonably priced, good quality air brush? I’ve never used one before and I’m not sure exactly what to look for. I should be starting a new job soon and will be able to continue on with the build as well as start purchasing some well needed tools/equiptment

Back