Double Turntable Roundhouse.

modelbob

Administrator
So you ended up with TWO turntable and roundhouse kits? What to do? You can't just put them side by side, that wouldn't be realistic, would it?

Well, generally speaking, it wasn't done that way. But there seems to always be an exception, and here's one that looks like a model railroad gone wild. It's in Prague in the Czech Republic. Based on the satellite photos, it appears to still be in service. In fact this whole place looks like a model railroad, with tons of track, a huge passenger station, bridge and tunnels and yards. Amazing stuff really!

turntable.jpg

Here's a link to the google map of the area.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/P...400af0f66164090!8m2!3d50.0755381!4d14.4378005

Scroll left and up to see the main station. Note that the tracks dive into a tunnel before they reach the station. It kind looks like they stop, but they don't, just go straight and you'll find it.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can see why in Euro modelling there's such an emphasis on trackwork. I don't think the 3D viewing is available in Win7, but in Win10 it is. Click the 3D at the right to tilt the picture, then hold down Ctrl and also the left mouse key and drag the picture around. All those trees behind the roundhouses are actually a hill.

Skip the clicking the 3D, just go straight to Ctrl and mouse key/drag. If you shrink the picture with the scroll wheel first too, you can get a real overview of the whole area. It's actually part of a 3 way junction with huge passenger classifying yards to the lower left with lots of coaches.

So you ended up with TWO turntable and roundhouse kits? What to do? You can't just put them side by side, that wouldn't be realistic, would it?
That is interesting, I wonder why they didn't put them further apart so that they could each service a full round house. I would guess they just needed more timely access to the locos than 1 table could provide.

The Rio Grande had two turnouts in Salida Colorado. Of course one was narrow gauge and the other standard but two turntables none the less.

Another option would be one of the turntables for another railroad. Denver had the Santa Fe / C&S turntable at the Rice yard, while the CB&Q turntable was at the 20th street, and the D&RG was at Barnham (8th street) these were within about a mile.

Back