double stack ?

trainjk

I'm wanting to start a double stack train, I already have 3 sets of maxi I's from athearn and one maxi III. I really like the maxi I but they are light and the maxi III's dont seem to stay on the track well without alot of weight in the containers and the detailing isn't as good. Now I'm looking at single cars and just wanting to get input from different people on good cars to look at.

I just got 1 new Atlas gunderson car and they have pretty good detail and seem to be weighted properly too. They have separate grab irons and perforated stainless walkways. I have a set of Walthers 3 unit thrall cars that I built from a kit and they were super light so in the bottom container I glued a 3/8 x 4" bolt with a nut to the floor inside and it runs great now...

Unless they're the metal well cars from Walthers, you will have to add weight to the bottom container. Use a bolt like CbarM says or glue pennies in the bottom container. I find that 10-12 (about 1 oz) pennies and some Walthers Goo works best and is cheaper than A-Line weights.
willie

Unless they're the metal well cars from Walthers, you will have to add weight to the bottom container. Use a bolt like CbarM says or glue pennies in the bottom container. I find that 10-12 (about 1 oz) pennies and some Walthers Goo works best and is cheaper than A-Line weights.
willie

I have found in the past that if you can squish 40 $100 bills rolled up into a container, that will also put the correct amount of weight in it...

I have found in the past that if you can squish 40 $100 bills rolled up into a container, that will also put the correct amount of weight in it...

At current rate of inflation, that too will soon be less expensive than A line weights...

Try these, they're quite heavy

Double-Stack-thumb.jpg

:D (That's a Wendy's Double Stack)

WOW!! You dont even need containers if you have a Wendy's double stack...its all right there. Maybe Tooter can play with this one and mount a set of trucks and #5 KD's right on the burger...HAHAHAHA

willie
Do you like 1 oz. per container or per car because I have some 20'ers that I want to put in the bottom and I've been putting 3/4oz. in the 20's and 1oz. in the 40's, 45's, and 48's

When I had Well Cars I glued 2 or 3 magnets in the bottom & a thin metal strip in the roof. So, when you stack'em they don't fall off.

I just find that 1 oz works. I have some weight in the top containers as well, just not as much, generally 4 pennies or about 1/3 oz. I don't want them too top heavy. That's still under the NMRA recommendation. I see nothing wrong with 3/4 oz in the 20's. It's trial and error. I run 16 -18 wells and my layout has no grades and the mainline is minimum 30" radius curves which makes it easier. Tighter radii might require a little more weight.
willie

Back