Double (Scissors) Cross Over question?

N

NP2626

I have one of the above. This item worked just fine, when I rand DC, which ended in 1990; or, there abouts. At that time I added a Digitrax Zephyr DCS 50 (the older version, not the Extra). Since I rarely use the cross over option, it took awhile before I notice that a locomotive would short out at the actual crossing in the cross over. This Scissors Cross Over is a Shinohara code 100 cross over. I'm unsure why this is happening; but, understand that this might be a common problem with Scissors (Double) Cross Overs.

The problem only occurs with the Scissor's being set to cross over. It occurs with either route. I don't understand what is happening because the Plus and Minus rails should not be changing polarity with the cross over setting.

Does anyone know of a fix?

When you are saying scissors, I think you are saying a double slip where there are moving points in the crossover but no actual turnouts.
On the other hand, your description is of a regular double crossover that uses 4 turnouts and a 60 degree crossing.
After having to play Wack-A-Mole with the pop up adds on Photobucket because they want to you to stare at some advertising for stuff that is unrelated to anything I have ever done in my life, I was able to get the two pictures below.

This is a Double Cross over.
Double%20Crossover_zpsbxmpjqka.png

This is a Double Slip Switch.

Double%20slip_zpsqs0qirau.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Ken, I guess I've only heard a double cross over referred to as a Scissors Cross Over. At any rate what I am referring to is what you have shown in your top photo and not a slip switch.

Logger Mike, it started right away. Like I said, I don't use it often; but, have a need for it now; so, that's why I'm finally asking now, 15 years after I first noticed the problem.

NP, go to "WiringforDCC.com.......there are diagrams and instructions for wiring both, as well as other turnouts.....this is where I got my help in Wiring Scratchbuilt Dual Gauge Turnouts. I invested in FROG JUICERS from Tam Valley.....solved my problems.....well worth it. HTH. Mike

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wow, I guess I need to apologize for not knowing what HTH means! This Shinohara Double Cross over is the only none Atlas piece of track on my layout and apparently it is not DCC Friendly. I have taken the advice first given me on going to Allan Gartners website, Wiring for DCC. I haven't come across specific information talking about double crossovers.

Thanks Greg! Some good information there! I guess I need more reversing units.

I have the Walthers/Shinohara Code 83 DCC-friendly double crossover. I power each of the rail ends outside of the points, the ends that would join to the rest of the trackage around the appliance. Nothing else. Mine works fine just like that. All I have to remember to do is to throw both associated sets of points diagonally at the same time. The two sets of points not being used can remain as they are, lined for the crossover or lined for the through route. No reversers are needed.

My Double Crossover was installed on my layout back in the pre DCC days. I determined yesterday that it has power routing. When the routes are set to the parallel tracks, the crossover routes are electrically dead. When the route is set to one; or, both crossover routes those routes are powered and the parallel routes are electrically dead. I am using Caboose Industries ground throws to operate the turnouts in the double crossovers.

Something I'm just not getting is why this piece of track work is so complicated! For lack of a better description, lat's say that the track runs from East to West. Thinking of it in this way, allows me to describe there being North and South Rails. Going through all the routes possible with a double crossover, the north rail never joins with a south rail, so why is this chunk of trackage so difficult to understand? I understand that the problem is with the frogs. Wouldn't cutting off power to the frogs fix this problem?

I have the Walthers/Shinohara Code 83 DCC-friendly double crossover. I power each of the rail ends outside of the points, the ends that would join to the rest of the trackage around the appliance. Nothing else. Mine works fine just like that. All I have to remember to do is to throw both associated sets of points diagonally at the same time. The two sets of points not being used can remain as they are, lined for the crossover or lined for the through route. No reversers are needed.

I finally got it sorted out. I had a bad wiring mistake. You are absolutely correct and it works fine now.

Thanks for for all the replies.

Gbeeman

Back