Do you guys ever tally up total cost of your layout?

Yeah, we got three of those too.... My daughters first "major" purpose was a horse. You don't happen to run a horse rescue do you?
Get away from me. I am in a witless protection program. What horses?

(Actually we took one in last week. It's really hard to get a new horse introduced into the herd without some blood being spilled.) He's an absolutely sweetie.

If I had to guess, I would say I've spent around three grand over the past five years. It sounds like a lot but it's one of my only hobbies. When I think of the dollars per hour spent it's not bad at all. See, I just justified my spending.:D

Edit: I just did the math. I've spent an average of $55 a month since I joined this forum. I joined this forum right at the time I reentered the hobby. Now the only problem is I have probably spent more than three grand over that time. Good thing nobody is keeping a ledger!

Last edited by a moderator:
Surprisingly, she doesn't say much about the spending. I think it's because I keep my purchases under $100. Now watch, some day she'll whip out this ledger of exactly what I've spent over the years. :eek:

As long as she doesn't whip it out in divorce court you'll be ok! ;)

Oh Yeah I forgot the building. I don't have a basement. When I bought my house it had a small building in back of house I added to it doubling yhe size to around 450 square feet and that's not enough.

outside.jpg

Yes, horses (not the iron variety). Or a sailboat--"A hole in the water into which one pours money".

We haven't got the only hobby that costs serious bucks.

Yes, horses (not the iron variety). Or a sailboat--"A hole in the water into which one pours money".

I second that, I have 3 horses that cost just as much or more then what I spend on MRR'ing. I gotta tone down the ebaying I think...I just looked in my ebay and see that I blew just about $1400 in the last 2 months :eek::eek:

I did that once,just once,on a simple 16"x12' ISL..

I declared never again would I be foolish enough to ask how much a simple switching layout can cost me.

Kills me what the local RC guys do. $500.00, and on its maiden flight, it gets eaten by a tree!!:p

Like the title states, if a person is trying to start from nowhere, as in just getting into the hobby it could be rather expensive to do it right.

Do you guys ever keep track of what you have into your layout as in how much it costed to lay all your track and rd bed.

I guess you could put the contruction of the bench work infront of this, but if a person has alot of scrap wood laying around then this may not cost much at all to build the bench work.

Then you have all your locos and cars to make the layout what it is, i know some have a huge collection of cars they never use, so guess a person could add that up to if need be.

You also have every structure/ scenery added to your layout costs.

Then you have the source of powering your layout either dc or dcc.

Most ppl probably have been collecting for years so the cost doesnt seem alot perhaps.

Nobody ever said hobbies are cheap but wow, its never ending on what a person could spend on a layout if need be. I could easily see were it wouldnt take long to easily go over 1000 bucks easy.

I gotta start from scratch and i can easily see myself dropping 500 bucks on one visit to the hobby shop or online this week

Say Joed
After all the years of accumulating the various HO items I have as well as the construction of my current C&S West SL, although I used most everything from the old layout, but have bought other equipment and just bought a new little 4" [saw blade Dia.] table saw and other goodies for the hobby it would probably scare me to really know what I've spent on the MRR Hobby!! :eek:

But as you know any hobby can cost a fairly good sum of money but it all boils down to the enjoyment it brings you and the health benefits from that enjoyment and satisfaction!!

Start small and try and determine a specific Road your most interested in and target the majority of your Loco and rolling stock to fit as well as the other items involved.

I can help you new fellows as well as other modelers save some hard earned money by being able to offer you most of the RR items you may want at considerable savings so get in touch with what you want. You won't be sorry you did!

I'm working on getting my web site listing going but as it's just me it's almost impossible to get all the info in there quickly.

I've got some really good prices for you guys/gals though so I hope you take advantage!

Sincerely,
David Smith

See below for contact info.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually we took one in last week. It's really hard to get a new horse introduced into the herd without some blood being spilled.) He's an absolutely sweetie.
I thought perhaps we had crossed tracks last summer at the Santa Fe Convention in Phoenix. On a bus ride from the museum the gang talked a lot about horses and trailers and the like. One of the fellows had just taken in two Arabians into his rescue operation, while I'm looking for a good draft horse.

...When I bought my house it had a small building in back of house I added to it doubling yhe size to around 450 square feet and that's not enough.

LP, Don't you remember THE LAWS OF MODEL RAILROADING?

And I quote; "The Layout WILL expand to fill all available space, which will still be too small.":D

Spending alot of money on the hobby you love?....Priceless

I'm actually afraid to tally it all up. I've only been back a year and already it's over a thousand I guess. Money well spent though and my only regret is that I couldn't spend more! ... Sam

I'm actually afraid to tally it all up. I've only been back a year and already it's over a thousand I guess. Money well spent though and my only regret is that I couldn't spend more! ... Sam

Ain't no way I can tally what I have spent. I started this hobby seriously when I was 8. I'm 58 now. But I can say I still have my very first kit from that age, a Silver Streak SRR automobile car. Cost then was $4.95.

I don't think I really want to know how much I've invested so far.

Having said that... I have tallied up a portion of my purchases. I don't want her to know how much I have at this moment -- but should I depart this earth before she does, I want my wife to have some inkling that much of my model railroad "stuff" still has good value -- and for her to NOT sell it for a quarter a piece at a yard sale. :(

Regards,
Tom Stockton

well i spent enough to make me credit card go up some (too much) so now i got to pay that off again...a few grand...oh lets see...4 engines, at least 10 cars...track, a building (that was $35) a car $4 and a few other cars ranging from $5 - $23...ooops....

Back