Digitrax Zephyr, Blackstone K-27 + Tsunami

nephthyr

Hi All,

I finally got a chance to hook up my newly acquired Digitrax Zephyr and test my Blackstone K-27. Initially I couldn't get the loco to move, I had address 3. A quick look in the Blackstone manual revealed that the loco is factory programmed to have the same address as the loco number, so I tried that address and got it to work.

The loco runs very smoothly and the sound is amazing. I am absolutely blown away by the quality of this loco! Not a cheap item but definitely worth every penny in my opinion.

Only problem I have is that the sound seems to be experiencing some interference, the best way to describe it is as the whine from an electric motor. At first I thought it might be the flourescent lights, TV or computer. After switching all these off, I still got the noise. Someone suggested it might be the transformer I'm using although I have my doubts...

Anyone else experience a similar problem? Anyone have any ideas?

Many Thanks!

Tested loco with standard DC power pack and same thing, thus ruling out a faulty DCC system.

I have 3 options:
1. Its a pre programmed sound and is supposed to sound that way. Possible but very unlikely.
2. Its a faulty decoder / sound system. Also possible and more likely but considering its a brand new engine I also have doubts.
3. Its interference from another device in close proximity. Most likely but also having my doubts.

I'll see what the guys at blackstone say. If push comes to shove I'll wait until June when the 2nd release of K27s come out and try that. At least that will rule out options or confirm them.

Are you sure you're not hearing the dynamo for the headlight? Does the sound continue if you turn the headlight off? If it is the dynamo, adjusting CV 133 should adjust the volume of it.

Turns out it was in fact the sound effect of the dynamo for the headlight. Have to admit I dont like this effect at all. Anyway, loco is working great and sounding great too!

Turns out it was in fact the sound effect of the dynamo for the headlight. Have to admit I dont like this effect at all. Anyway, loco is working great and sounding great too!
Well, that is one of the sounds of the locomotive. You can adjust that sound downward, so it's not blaring at you.

Back